Muah Chee

Muah CheeMuah Chee is a Southern Chinese (Fujianese) dessert that is the stuff of childhood memories. This humble treat can be found in many Fujianese communities in South East Asia, especially Malaysia and Singapore. There are two ways in which this dessert can be made. The “open” version with the cooked glutinous rice flour dough rolled in ground peanut and sugar is commonly associated with Penang. The “closed” version with the dough formed into a ball filled with the peanut mix is also found in other parts of Malaysia. The latter looks more like a mochi. It is interesting to note that both the Fujianese Muah Chee and Japanese mochi sound very similar.

The closest cousin to the Muah Chee in terms of taste and texture is the Shingen mochi found around Yamanashi region in Japan, home of Takeda Shingen’s (a 16th century war lord) clan. This mochi is covered in soy bean flour (kinako) and drizzled with dark syrup (kuromitsu) in place of ground peanuts and sugar. It usually comes in a plastic container beautifully packaged in a cloth gift bag.

Muah Chee

The last time I had Muah Chee was when I visited Penang some years back. It is one of the many things I missed from the old country. When I saw the recipe on Anncoo Journal yesterday, I could not wait to give it a try. I made them this morning and I am glad I did as they were delicious. The sticky dough was soft, moist, and chewy. The dry roasted peanuts I used gave the coating a sweet and salty taste which complemented the dough perfectly. Thank you Ann for this wonderful recipe. There are many, many more delicious recipes on Anncoo Journal. Please do check it out.

Now, let’s start cooking! This is a simple recipe with few ingredients. I did make minor adjustments to Ann’s recipe.

Muah Chee

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 6 servings
Dough
  • 2 cups (250g) glutinous rice flour or Mochiko flour
  • 3 tbsp (40g) granulated sugar
  • 1½ cups (360ml) water
Topping
  • ½ cup (80g) dry roasted peanuts
  • 3 tbsp (40g) granulated sugar
  1. Place a metal stand in a large pot. Fill it with an inch or so of water. Bring it to a rapid boil. Lightly oil an 8-inch cake pan with vegetable oil. Set aside. When water comes to a boil, place pan on stand.
  2. In a large bowl, combine glutinous rice flour and sugar. Gradually add water. Stir till a smooth batter forms. Pour batter into prepared pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and steam for 40 minutes.
  3. In the meantime, process or chop peanuts until fine. Mix with sugar and set aside.
  4. When dough is ready, remove and allow it to cool. Scoop sticky dough with an oiled teaspoon and drop into peanuts and sugar mixture. Coat well and serve immediately.

Muah Chee
Muah Chee

Comments

1. Yuki Endo says

Visitor from BC?

Have not had muah chee for decades, centuries … this certainly is something from childhood.

2. says

hehee Biren, you really fast to make this muah chee! Good write up, so much better than me :) My family requested me to make this again for coming weekend as we have friends over for lunch. I must remember to serve them with a pot of Chinese tea too:)

• Biren says

Thanks Ann for the recipe. As soon as I saw it on your blog, I had to make it as I do miss eating it. I am surprise at how easy it was to make. :)

3. says

It is quite easy for me to buy this muah chee in nearby shop thus I never though of making them..But i should try this one day since homemade always the best and fresh..Hmm, yours look as nice as Anncoo.

• Biren says

Yes, it is nice to be able to walk out and buy some but we have to make most of these goodies here ourselves. I do agree that homemade is the best. Maybe you should try it sometime as it is really easy to make.

4. DongXing says

Biren,

I ddin’t know muah chee is so “do-able” – thank you for sharing this recipe. I love muah chee and because I don’t know how to make them, I’ve always buy a small portion whenever I go to the local chinese store. I will certainly give this a try as i do have all the ingredients in the store cupboard.

• Biren says

Me too, until I saw it on Ann’s blog. It is really easy with very few ingredients. Great for a quick dessert on short notice.

5. says

These look like so much fun! I’ve never tried them, but I have tried mochi and I love the texture so I can imagine these would be fun to try :) I also love anything that can be served with tea. Love your teapot! We’re so on the same page ;-)

• Biren says

The texture is the same as mochi as it uses the same glutinous rice flour. Defintely serve it with tea. Those are the tiny Yixing teapots. We can talk tea the whole day. ;)

6. says

I went to a cooking demonstration at a local college here a couple months ago. The woman who put on the demo was from Singapore. She was a teacher at a culinary school in Singapore. She made us these! They were good! Very different texture, but good!

7. says

Biren, You make it look so easy to make! When I saw the pic it reminded me of a Japanese dessert and then you ended up comparing it in your post! Your photos are beautiful and makes the dish even more delectable! Great job!! Kay

• Biren says

It is interesting that many of the Asian cultures share similar types of food. I understand the Koreans have their version of mochi as well. Thanks Kay for your sweet words! :)

8. says

OMG you know Shingen Mochi!! I love that and I ate a lot when we visited Yamanashi for hot springs last November. My dad used to buy these for souvenir when he went golfing in Yamanashi. So I have an interesting child memory toward this sweet. I saw this at Anncoo Journal too, but didn’t realize it’s the similar type of dessert then. You ALWAYS make good stuff Biren. Always. I won’t tell you how much I ate Shingen Mochi because you will have to hide this muah chee!

• Biren says

Shingen mochi is quite delicious and I have a few of those lovely cloth bags they come in. Actually I like all kinds of mochi and wagashi. I think you will enjoy muah chee very much as it has a very similar texture. :)

9. says

I ate these when I lived in Singapore, and I miss them now! Yummy… Thank you for sharing :) I cannot wait to go out and buy some glutinous rice flour and try making these! THANK YOU, Biren! :)

• Biren says

You must be familiar with some of the food I prepare since you have lived in Singapore. I hope you get to make this muah chee soon. :)

10. says

Somehow I missed Anncoo’s post but I’m happy you made them too.
    I have never heard nor see this type of dessert until now, but is something I’d like to try.
    Thanks for sharing Biren.

• Biren says

You are from Fujian? How interesting! There are many Fujianese in Malaysia and Singapore. The dialect may sound a little different with the local influences there. :)

11. says

WOW I never new that this was from Southern China! I use the lazy method of microwaving though :p Anyway, your pictures look really great :D

12. says

Biren, Yum! Those little rice desserts looks delicious! I’m so inspired by your photography. You such a pro with food styling and lighting. I’ve been trying to get better with my photography lighting but get frustrated with my camera and lack of knowledge. I know it’s not the camera that’s the issue, I just need more training. Oh well, folks that visit my blog will have to deal with emperfect photos, but I know they won’t be disappointed with the recipes! I really do admire your professionalism!!

• Biren says

Thanks Rebecka! You are always so sweet and supportive. I am still learning and constantly struggle with the lighting. Lighting is my biggest issue as it changes with the seasons and can be extremely frustrating.

Your recipes and write-ups are excellent. The photography will come when you get to know your camera a little more. :)

13. says

Biren now you’ve got me curious. I saw Ann’s post too and I have a bag of glutinous rice flour in the cupboard. I must try making it, but I have nothing to compare it to. :) Maybe I’ll use almonds instead of peanuts just to switch it up a bit!

• Biren says

The texture is very similar to that of mochi. I mention mochi because I know the people here are more familiar with mochi. If you like mochi, you will like this muah chee. :)

14. says

Thanks for sharing this, Biren. I’ll try making this over the weekend! We have a Filipino snack called palitaw which makes use of glutinous rice flour but it’s flat and instead of peanuts, we used shredded coconut & sesame seeds to coat it with. I made it for 24×24 last week, so I still have glutinous rice here and I have some roasted peanuts too…so I can definitely try this recipe of yours! I’m excited!

15. says

Hey Biren :)

What a coincidence! The last thing I made before going to Tokyo was mua chee! I was experimenting with it and found out that you can actually cook it in the microwave! It’s so much faster and it turned out surprisingly well. Sometimes, the microwave is a real miracle worker LOL Your mua chee looks wonderful!! And for me too, it has so many associations with my childhood.

16. says

I didn’t know that muah chee is so easy to make and thot we have to keep pounding to get the texture! LOL
    Definitely must try this! Tks for sharing Biren! ^.^
    btw, I don’t really understand the first part whereby you put a rack … do you mean we need to use the double boiling method to steam the glutinous rice flour?

• Biren says

Pounding(?)…that’s a cute idea…LOL! Lyn, you have to give this a try as it is really good and very easy to make.

I have changed the rack to stand. You place the pan on the stand to steam it. I am sorry I confused you with the rack. Thanks for pointing it out.

• says

You’re always welcome Biren. :) Now I understand what you mean after you changed it. Tks! :D
        Oh the pounding part is what I saw in the tv show, in some parts of Taiwan, Japan or China (I’ve forgotten where bcoz I watched it quite some time back), they made muah chee by pounding the steamed glutinous rice continuously in a very big and huge stone mortar until they got the right texture. So I always thot that making muah chee is so difficult and tedious! lol

17. says

‘Open’ or ‘Close’ version ….. I love both. But Penang ones seem to taste a bit different, but also yummy. Love your teapot and cup, sooooooo cute!

18. says

I have not eaten muah chee or mochi since last xmas! haha… Mochi reminds me of the brown sugar mochi that my brother brought home from Taiwan. Super delicious!Slurp…
    Hope you’re having a great day.
    Kristy