Lavender Spiced Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes with Marmalade Glaze

Today is a busy day for most of us as we spend time in the kitchen preparing for the big meal tomorrow. I like to brine my turkey and that has to be done this morning so that it will have sufficient time to infuse that huge bird. After which, there will be the chopping of vegetables for the stuffing. Our favorite is a pear, chestnut, and wild rice stuffing. I keep it gluten-free by using all the bread ends saved from the Rice Breads I make each week. A run to the store is inevitable for the last minute items like salad, cream, spices, and whatever was left out in the “big shop” of the week.

In the meantime, life goes on and other meals still have to be prepared. One pot dishes are a God sent, especially those that require little prep work and can be put into the oven to do its thing. I made this dish after reading about Lyndsey’s delicious Lavender Pork Roast. I have never used lavender in savory dishes and it is time to give it a try. Besides, I needed to use up some of culinary lavender purchased during my visit to a lavender farm in England this past summer.

I used thick pork loin chops as that was what I had in the freezer. I also added some sweet potatoes and made a marmalade soy glaze for the dish. For the starch, I cooked buttered rice with raisins and green peas in the rice cooker. The pork chops were moist and tender with a hint of lavender. It is discernible but not over powering at all. I hope you will give this other white meat dish a try after you are done with that turkey. :)

If you are thinking of a pork roast, do pay Lyndsey of The Tiny Skillet a visit. She blogs out of Sarasota, Florida and uses lots of fresh herbs and spices in her cooking. She also shares amazing pictures of the exotic plants and fruits found in her garden as well as the beautiful Florida sunsets. Please do say “hi” for me.

I would like to wish all my US readers a HAPPY AND HEALTHY THANKSGIVING! I hope you have a wonderful time with family and friends and do stay safe on the roads.

Now, for the recipe…

Lavender Spiced Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes with Marmalade Glaze

Lavender Spiced Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes with Marmalade Glaze

• 6 1-inch thick boneless pork loin chops, trimmed
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Dry Rub
  • 1 tbsp culinary lavender, crushed
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp ground chipotle chili pepper
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • Glaze
  • ½ cup (120ml) marmalade
  • ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
  • ½ cup (120ml) water

Combine all dry rub ingredients in a bowl. Reserve about 1 teaspoon for sweet potatoes.

Pat dry pieces of pork with paper towels. Press dry rub onto both sides of pork and allow them to sit in the fridge for at least an hour. In the meantime, peel and cube sweet potatoes into ¾-inch cubes. Place in a roasting dish. Sprinkle reserved dry rub over cubed potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil.

Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Heat a pan with just a little oil. Sear pork chops for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Place pork chops on cubed sweet potatoes and roast in the oven for 30 minutes**.

Combine marmalade, soy sauce, and water in a small bowl. Deglaze pan with marmalade mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thick and bubbly. When pork chops are ready, pour glaze onto chops and return it to the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove and tent with foil.

Allow pork chops to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Notes

**Please adjust time accordingly if pork chops are less than an inch thick. Internal temperature of cooked pork should be 160°F (71°C). You may have to partially roast sweet potatoes first before adding seared pork chops.

I served these chops with raisins and peas buttered rice and steamed broccoli.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. Cheryl says:

I cant wait to eat this..Looks so yummy..Thanks for sharing the recipe..I will try to cook this for my family..

2. vianney says:

This looks amazing!! Love the flavors!!

3. This looks delicious! I’ve never thought to pair pork and lavender but it sounds just lovely. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Looks like you are busy preparing a delicious feast!

Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Blackswan says:

Biren, the smell of Lavender brought me to your post. Hahaha! I know a good dish when I smell one. Heehee!

6. Zoe says:

I like your idea of using lavender as one of your spic mix for these pork chop. Brilliant!

7. Biren, this sound so tempting and must be delicious too. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Happy Holidays..

8. Joanne says:

As I said on Lyndseys’ blog, I find the combination of lavender with meat to be fascinating! What a great meal you’ve made! Happy Thanksgiving, Biren!

9. Wow, looks so delicious! Using lavender is a wonderful addition!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

10. Lyndsey says:

This looks amazing Biren! Thanks for the mention and kind words. I was surprised that the lavender didn’t overpower it, and I used it pretty generously. Like you said it was a hint of lavender flavor, but of course we used other great ingredients too

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and enjoy your family!

You are most welcomed, Lyndsey! I was surprised at the subtle scent of the lavender even with that marmalade sauce. It is nice though and I think it will work well with lamb. Will have to give it a try one of these days. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

11. Wow Biren! This looks and sounds truly amazing! The flavours in this meal are spot on and the chops look so crusty yet juicy! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving, though you must be quite worn out by all the work involved. Do take time for a cuppa, with your feet up ;)

It was tiring Denise, but worth all the effort as the family enjoyed the spread. It is amazing though that it takes hours to plan and prepare the meal but it is gone in just minutes!

12. Biren, This sounds so delicious with lavender and other spices in it. Definitely a lovely meal for everyone at home.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family :)

13. A hearty and delicious meal. I love the use of lavender.

14. mycookinghut says:

Such a comfort and complete dish!

15. Parsley Sage says:

Ohmigoodness! I think the lavender sounds lovely with the pork chops, great for a savory dish :)

16. These pork chops look delicious! So nicely browned!

17. rebecca says:

wow this looks amazing Biren I have some lavender from a British lavender farm too he he love it

18. I have yet to get with it and try culinary lavender. I love it every time I’ve tasted it in various baked goods. The rub with its sweet and heat has to be fabulous!

19. That’s it…now I’m stuck! Can’t get culinary lavender, guess will have to google it! Don’t know what wrong with these local gourmet shops that don’t carry it! Same thing happened with me, trying to get candied ginger, at William Sonoma, only to be told, that they are sold out, and ended up getting it at our local Asian Market!
    Wonder if they carry lavender there, as well!

Your pork chops look so appealing, appetizing, and totally inviting…with, or without the lavender. I’d be happy to eat it minus the lavender, along with the comforting sweet potatoes!
    So now, I’m on the hunt for “culinary lavender”…to make other things with, as well!

Yes, candy ginger can be bought quite easily at the Asian grocery stores and you don’t have to pay an arm and a foot for it. I do agree with you about the culinary lavender though, as it is a little hard to come by. Fortunately for me, my local health food store carries it. At least I know I can get it there when the two bags I have run out.

20. What a beautiful meal…I adore using lavender when cooking and I am sure it pared wonderfully with pork :)
    I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving

1. September 30, 2013

[…] only delicious on toast. I use it for cooking as well. It combines wonderfully with pork and this Lavender Spiced Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes with Marmalade Glaze is a dish worth […]