Teochew Moey (Teochew Rice Porridge)

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Teochew Moey or Teochew Rice Porridge is a meal rarely talked about outside of the Teochew and Hokkien (Fujianese) communities although it forms a large part of their everyday food. The meal consists of plain rice porridge or congee eaten with an array of dishes and condiments. It is very versatile and is served throughout the day. The weight of the meal is dependent on the dishes and condiments the porridge is served with. For breakfast, the porridge is usually eaten with just salted eggs and pickled vegetables. Meatier dishes like Teochew style duck, pork, or tofu cooked in soy sauce together with a variety of pickled and fermented vegetables are the norm for dinner.

Rice porridge or congee have come a long way since it was first eaten. It was served to stretch the rice supply to feed more people in times of famine. Today, this humble food has been elevated to new heights with seafood and other expensive ingredients added to it like this one where I threw in a few dried scallops. And so it is with Teochew Moey, as many hotels in Malaysia and Singapore offer it as part of their breakfast buffet. Do give it a try if you encounter it in your travels.

Teochew restaurants usually offer twenty to thirty dishes and condiments for their Teochew Moey. The favorites are lor ark (braised duck), lor bak (braised pork), lor tau kwa (braised tofu), boey chai (salted mustard stew), kiam nui (salted duck eggs), tau ju (fermented beancurd), sik hu (salt boiled mackerel), and kua’ chai (freshly pickled mustard leaves). Chicken is seldom, if ever served with this porridge. The Hokkien (Fujianese) dishes are different and not as extensive. Some Hokkien favorites are chai por nui (pickled radish omelet), chai por chai tau (fried pickled radish and long beans), and tau cheow kang hu (anchovies cooked in fermented bean paste). Pickles and salted duck eggs are mainstays. The dishes tend to be a little salty (when eaten on its own) to counterpoint the bland rice porridge.

Teochew Moey need not be elaborate. Lots of the condiments come in cans and jars available at the Asian grocery stores. I normally have some of these in my pantry as I like to serve rice porridge for Sunday lunch after church. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to cook the porridge. Unlike the Cantonese jook which requires longer boiling, plain rice porridge tends to have more of the rice grains intact.

The texture of fresh fermented beancurd is like that of soft cheese. It is salty and is often used as an ingredient in stir-fries and braised dishes.

Plain Rice Porridge (Congee)

Plain Rice Porridge (Congee)

• 1½ cups (300g) rice, rinsed and drained
  • 8 cups (1.9 litres) water
  • Choice of Condiments
  • Pickled mustard
  • Chili bamboo shoots
  • Spicy pickled radish
  • Canned dace
  • Fermented beancurd

Combine rice and water in a large pot. Turn on the stove and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and allow it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove or tilt lid to prevent over boiling. Turn off heat and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Serve in individual bowls with condiments.

Notes

Porridge tends to thicken when allowed to sit. If it gets too thick, dilute with warm water.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. As always, you amaze me with the recipes you present. This dish looks so gorgeous. One of the things I love is how the eater is an active participant in the creation of the meal and get to have fun putting the elements together.

I am glad you enjoy checking out the recipes. Some like this one is quite traditional. Yes, the meal can be different each time depending on the condiments the eater selects.

2. Congee with preserved tofu is my favourite summer supper.Love black beans too.

3. I think interactive meals where everyone can customize their own plate are so fun. This looks like a really comforting and healthy dish. :)

4. Gosh I wish I could eat at your house every night! This looks delicious

5. Shu han says:

Oh i really mis this. It’s true most people have not heard of it. In Singapore though, there are eateries just specialising in teochew porridge, with lots and lots of dishes to choose from. I like how light and comforting the porridge is, perfect to pair with any dish!

My Dad used to enjoy his moey with Teochew preserved olives (ka na) :) and since we have decided to stay away from preserved veg/pickles, we now usually have Teochew Moey with simple dishes such as braised cabbage, tau pak etc.

If I remember correctly, kana is sweet. I used to love that when I was a kid. I’ve never tried it with porridge though. I have not seen kana here or maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

7. This sounds delicious and comforting! I’ve had conjee but not teochew. I love hearing about the teochew restaurants and all the different things you can serve with it.

8. I remember my Teochew friend’s family is a must to have Teochew Moey every morning. Now there are many Teochew eateries selling Teochew moey but they are not cheap.

Yes, the Teochews love their porridge. The Hokkiens too! :)

It is true that Teochew food is not cheap even in KL. Not too many Teochew restaurants in KL. More of them up north in Province Wellesley and Kedah.

9. Elin says:

Biren…I am teochew and my grandma used to cook this for our breakfast :) Love the side condiments ! Slurp slurp!

Btw, I have an award for you at my blog, pls do collect it at your free time :)

This makes a great breakfast or a light lunch especially in cold weather. Many thanks for including me in your line-up. I am honored. :)

10. I love rice porridge! All those additions on the side sound so yummy! and the pictures are just GORGEOUS, Biren!

11. Jeannie says:

All my favorite condiments for porridge:D I used that chili beancurd to season my roast pork by the way:D Great photograhy, Biren:)

12. PolaM says:

I’m discovering congee as a comfort meal. I have yet to experiment with the toppings though. It seems that that is where the fun is at!

13. rebecca says:

looks so good remember eating it in Hong Kong and great pics

14. mjskit says:

After seeing the ratio of rice to water I see why it’s called porridge. So do you mixed all of the condiments in with the porridge or eat each condiment separately with a little rice? (Sorry if that’s a stupid question. :) ) I’m a huge condiment person and love the idea, versatility, and look of this dish. It’s really grab my interest as all your recipes have done! Beautiful presentation!

15. I had never seen this dish before, looks wonderful. Have a blessed day Biren :)

16. I am not a big fan of rice porridge growing up, so I rarely make it at home. With all these delicious condiments, I think plain porridge must be extra delicious!

Some people do associate porridge with being ill. Those of us who grew up with it learn to enjoy it. It is really quite comforting especially on a cold day. :)

17. Even I am a Hokkien, I love both Teochew or Hokkien moey, love all the condiments. I feel like want to cook this immediately . yummy!

18. Claudia says:

I love meals with so many “sides.” All of the different textures and flavors all melding together gives me a feeling of contentment. This is a beauty of a meal.

19. Blackswan says:

Guess what?? I’m a Teochew, Biren! Everything here looks so familiar & I love it! I always stock up the Fish Dace at home. So yummy!

20. Raymund says:

Ohhh, I love this one I remember I tried something like this in Malaysia but with Century eggs as well

21. This looks so delicious….
    Absolute comforting, I have had rice porridge before but this looks good…
    I love the wonderful varieties of condiments here… Yumm..

22. mycookinghut says:

Teochew moey is yummy! I am Teochew and love this obviously :)

23. Sounds excellent especially with all the condiments!

24. kristy says:

What a coincidence! I’m having this porridge too today. haha… It’s hubby favourite.
    Kristy

25. nasifriet says:

Oh… this reminds me of home (my mum’s Teochew). Not sure if century egg is Teochew, but we have these quite a lot served with our porridge, then of course the ‘kiam hu’ (ikan masin) as well as salted egg. Yummy..

26. I don’t think I have ever had anything like this. Looks really delicious and is a must try :)

27. Teochew porridge is my comfort food or my lazy day food.. Maybe because I’m half teochew, I prefer teochew porridge to cantonese porridge :)

28. Dongxing says:

I love this but usually have this eat this all by myself, not that I mind… For me, the attraction is the variety of small little plates of condiments and accompliments to go with the porridge. As usual, great photography, Biren, makes me want to go home this instant, make and eat it!