BLT Pita Pockets like their cousin, the BLT sandwiches are just plain awesome. They taste so good and are so easy to put together. Two weeks ago, I made some Grilled Chicken Pita Pockets for Ro-Jiro’s lunchbox. He enjoyed them so much that he requested for me to make him more pita pockets for lunch. How could I refuse?
Not wanting to do a total repeat this time, I decided that I would make him a classic BLT with the bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes stuffed into pita pockets instead. I did add a slice of Muenster cheese in each pocket for a more substantial lunch as big boys have healthy appetites. He was more than delighted!
It took me less than 15 minutes to prepare and pack this lunch. While the bacon was in the frying pan, I toasted the pita pockets, rinsed and dried the lettuce leaves, and sliced the tomato. The bacon took about 6 minutes to cook. The dressing was packed separately so that the pockets do not become soggy. I also included a cup of sliced pears (not shown in the pictures) and some corn chips in a Ziplock bag to complete the meal. Somehow chips go wonderfully well with sandwiches. They really do. It must be a textural thing.
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 whole grain pita pocket
- 2 green lettuce leaves
- 2 slices cheese of choice
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ranch dressing
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Cut each strip of bacon into half.
- Cut pitas in half and open pockets. Lightly toast pockets, if preferred. Fill each pocket with a lettuce leaf, half of the cooked bacon, a slice of cheese, and half of the sliced tomatoes.
- Drizzle with dressing just before eating.
The smell of frying bacon early in the morning made me hungry. After Ro-Jiro left for school, I used one half of a pita and made just one pocket for myself. It tasted so good with my morning cup of tea. If I had use up the other half of the pita, I would have no problems finishing that as well. I will certainly do that for lunch the next time.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎