Easy and tasty Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary using the freshest ingredients…
These Pan Fried Smashed Fingerling Potatoes are so tender and buttery on the inside with a very tasty and slightly salty crust. They are just the perfect side dish!
Just when I thought I had explored all the possible ways of preparing fingerling potatoes, I come across something new. While smashed fingerling potatoes may sound like the results of a food fight, I assure you that they taste really good. These pan fried smashed fingerling potatoes were a smashed hit the very first time they were served at our house. The one and a half pounds of potatoes were gone in no time!
Twice Cooked Pan Fried Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
There are two simple stages of cooking involved in the preparation of these smashed potatoes but the results are totally worth the effort. Fortunately, fingerling potatoes take a much shorter time to cook as they are smaller and more tender. Despite being cooked twice, they remained buttery on the inside but what truly made them shine was their pan fried slightly crusty and salty exterior. They were really tasty and flavorful. The added garlic made them oven more so. The recipe is definitely a keeper!
I used my favorite medley fingerling potatoes in this recipe but you can certainly use baby or new potatoes instead. The boiling time for the potatoes may differ depending on their size. The potatoes should be cooked until tender so that they can be easily smashed with the palm of your hand but they should not be falling apart. You may also use whatever dried or fresh herbs you prefer like thyme or rosemary. The garlic is optional but I do recommend it as it gave the potatoes a nice garlicky flavor.
Tools Used in Making These Pan Fried Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Pan Fried Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
- Rinse fingerling potatoes and place them in a large pot covered with water. Bring water to a boil and cook until potatoes are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and let them cool and dry out. Using the palm of your hand, press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Place one layer (about half the potatoes) in the pan. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning over potatoes and allow potatoes to brown.
- After about 5 to 7 minutes, flip over potatoes and sprinkle more salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning on them. Let it brown for another 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and place on a plate. Repeat with the other half of the potatoes.
- When done, do not remove potatoes from pan but return the earlier half portion back to the pan. Sprinkle minced garlic over potatoes. Stir to get potatoes well mixed with garlic, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and transfer to serving dish.
These garlicky Pan Fried Smashed Fingerling Potatoes are delicious eaten as is or paired with stewed meats and grilled fish. They are just the prefect little side dish! So simple yet so flavorful and tasty! May I suggest the following main dishes to go with the potatoes. Simply click on the image to get to the recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎