Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

Discovering quinoa is like learning a new skill. There are so many possibilities with this versatile grain-like ingredient. I keep wanting to cook it every chance I get. Since it works very much like rice, I find myself thinking of ways to use it in traditional rice recipes like this Turmeric Spiced Quinoa. Last week, I thought of another recipe to try which got me really excited. I have always enjoyed Inari Zushi and I am delighted that quinoa filled tofu pockets tasted just as delicious.

Like rice, quinoa comes in a variety of colors and textures. The most widely cultivated are the white, red, and black varieties. White quinoa is most common and some are pre-washed for convenience. Red quinoa holds its shape better with distinct grains while black quinoa retains its striking color after cooking. Source: Whole Grains Council.

Some manufacturers offer a medley of the three in the same package. Rainbow quinoa does cost a little bit more but it is very pretty when used in a salad. I really like it because it is fluffier with distinct grains.

Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

Prepared tofu pockets are very convenient. Each package comes with 10 pockets that have been well seasoned and ready to be filled. They can be found in the refrigerated section of Asian grocery stores. If you prefer to season your own tofu pockets, please refer to my Inari Zushi post.

For this recipe, I reserved 2 tablespoons of the sweetened soy sauce that came in the tofu package. I mixed it into the cooked quinoa together with the vinegar mixture, black sesame seeds, and green onions for added flavor. It made the quinoa really tasty.

Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

Yield: 10 filled pockets

Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

• 1 cup (200g) rainbow quinoa
  • 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, toasted
  • 2 green onions, finely sliced
  • 1 package (10 pcs) prepared tofu pockets(ajitsuke inari kantofu), reserving the sauce in the package
  • Vinegar Mixture
  • ¼ cup (60ml) rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt

Rinse quinoa until water runs clear. Drain and place in a medium sized pan. Add 2 cups (480ml) water.

Place on the stove and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and let quinoa simmer until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl.

Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Add 2 tablespoons of reserved sauce from the prepared tofu pockets. Pour over quinoa, mixing with a spatula until well combined. Mix in sesame seeds and green onions.

Take a prepared tofu pocket and gently open it.

Using a spoon, fill the pocket with quinoa mixture. Fold in the edges of tofu pockets to form a neat rim.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

Inari zushi are often served facing down but these quinoa filled tofu pockets would be better served facing upwards because the grains do not stick together like short grain sushi rice. They are best held and eaten with your hands.

Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets

Biren

1. Mina Joshi says:

This looks amazing. First time I heard about tofu pockets.

2. Jeannie says:

Wow! The pockets looks really delicious! I must make an effort to try out this healthy quinoa. It takes a while to introduce new food to my boys:P They are rather picky eaters!

Boys usually take a longer time to accept any food that is not meat. I was quite surprised that my boys like quinoa.

3. Judy says:

Great idea and variation! Will try this! Thanks for sharing!

4. This is such a nice healthy twist—I always felt a bit bad for eating so much plain white rice just for the sake of the delicious inari skins, hahah. Thanks for sharing!

You are welcomed, Irina! Sometimes I used brown rice instead of the short grain sushi rice. Quinoa is a nice alternative.

5. mjskit says:

I’ve never heard of tofu pockets. What fun one could have with those! Every time I see a delicious quinoa recipe like this, I kick myself because that bag of quinoa I bought months ago is still sitting in the pantry. O.K. I’m making it tonight! I don’t have any tofu pockets, but I have everything else. I love the simplicity of this tasty dish! Thanks!

6. PolaM says:

Love them! I have been looking at alternative ways of cooking and serving quinoa and this is a great idea!

Thanks Pola! Quinoa is pretty versatile and I continue to look for ways to incorporate it into my daily cooking.

7. Nasifriet says:

I have seen the packet of tofu pockets sold at the Asian store, but haven’t the clue what it was or how to use it. Furthermore, the instructions on the packet were in Japanese script. Thanks so much for sharing. The pockets looked absolutely inviting. Next time I’m at the Asian store, I will get a packet and will know what to do with it ;-)

8. Ramona says:

I have never heard of or seen tofu pockets… must look for them at my Asian store. :) I love quinoa… this looks like a fantastic filling for those pockets. :)

9. Susan says:

These look incredible and I cannot wait to try them. I’m crazily searching out good quinoa recipes. This looks great. I suppose I can I use any kind of quinoa? I haven’t seen rainbow quinoa where I live.

Thanks for visiting, Susan. I have a few more quinoa recipes that you may want to check out. Please click on this link to get there.

10. Wow! Those look lovely! I have never has these tofu pockets before. I have to try and look for them this time around.

1. June 7, 2013

[...] be easily be converted to use quinoa with a little tweaking. An example are these inari sushi like Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets. I was really thrilled at the way they turned [...]