Today is the last day of school for Ro-Jiro…YAY! How quickly the school year went by. After today, we will be going into our relax summer mode with no need to wake up as early because I have only Ro-Ri San’s lunchbox to pack. Speaking of lunchboxes, these Spiced Quinoa Corn Patties are perfect for lunch on-the-go. They are very portable and may be eaten at room temperature.
I have been packing lunch for my boys since they started going to school. Hard to believe the eldest has already graduated and the youngest only has one more year to go. I will probably miss the activity but I guess it is time to move on. Perhaps I can make Ro-Ri San’s lunchbox more fancy. Oh…I’ll think of something. 😉
Now, back to these Spiced Quinoa Corn Patties. I am sure you would have noticed that of late, I have been posting some quinoa recipes. I am actually a little late to the scene but after cooking it for the very first time in this, Turmeric Spiced Quinoa, there is no turning back. It really is a versatile ingredient, much like rice which we eat almost every day. There are many rice recipes on this blog that can be easily be converted to use quinoa with a little tweaking. An example are these inari sushi like Quinoa Filled Tofu Pockets. I was really thrilled at the way they turned out.
Fresh corn is starting to appear at the grocery stores. They were on sale during the Memorial Day weekend and so I bought some. After snacking on a few, I decided to use the rest in today’s recipe. The boys thought this was the best quinoa recipe I have come up with thus far. I hope you will give it a try. They are great as an appetizer, snack, or a side dish.
Besan or chickpea flour is a fantastic substitute for eggs. It is quite sticky when cooked with a little water. This helps to bind other ingredients used in a recipe beautifully. I use it frequently in many of my egg free dishes.
- 3½ cups (630g) cooked from 1 cup (200g) uncooked rainbow quinoa
- 2 cups (300g) cooked corn kernel from 3 ears of corn
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- Combine quinoa, sweet corn kernels, garam masala, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine besan and ½ cup (120ml) water. Cook stirring until thick and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and pour into quinoa mixture. Mix well. When cool enough to handle, shape and compact into patties.
- Pan fry in a large non-stick fry pan with a little oil for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Fry in two batches if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎