The year end holidays is a time of sharing, rejoicing, and reflecting on God’s blessings for the year coming to a close. For us it is always bitter sweet as our extended families are so far away. It is sweet because Ro-Taro is home from campus and our little family is complete. This indeed is cause for celebration.
That said, it is a little harder than usual for me this year as I received news a few days before Christmas that my dad is not well. I feel helpless but there is nothing much I can do except to go on with the festivities as planned to take my mind off it.
Thank God, being busy is almost therapeutic. I changed my plans from doing a whole lot of intensive cooking for our Christmas Eve dinner to making easy no-cook or minimal cooking appetizers instead. These dishes are more forgiving and can be easily rectified if need be. They are also very pretty, colorful, and cheerful which helps lift the spirit.
This Prosciutto Wrapped Melon appetizer is hardly a recipe. It does deserve a mention though as it is light, tasty, and refreshing. Since we were having little friends over, I decided to use these fun decorative Santa food picks I purchased 2 years back but never used.
Only 2 ingredients are required – melon and proscuitto or parma ham. I added the grapes and mint leaves for presentation purposes. Of course they are also good to eat. I used cantaloupe and green grapes but honey dew and red grapes would also work beautifully.
- ½ cantaloupe or honey dew
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 16 green or red grapes
- 16 mint leaves
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Prepare eight 6 inches long decorative food picks.
- Scoop out seeds from melon. Cut into 8 wedges and remove skin from each wedge. Trim off the ends of each wedge and then cut into half. Repeat with remaining wedges giving 16 chunks of melon.
- Cut each slice of prosciutto in half lengthwise. Wrap a piece of prosciutto tightly around each chunk of melon. Place a mint leaf on top of each prosciutto wrapped melon.
- Skewer a grape, followed by a mint leaf topped prosciutto wrapped melon. Repeat with another grape and mint leaf topped prosciutto wrapped melon. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Spray or drizzle a few drops of balsamic vinegar and grind a little black pepper over wrapped melon if desired.
For a more “adult” flavor, spray or drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and grind a little black pepper over the Prosciutto Wrapped Melon. These sweet salty bites are great for a cocktail party and are delicious with a bubbly glass of Prosecco or Moscato. Be sure to change out the picks for your New Year’s Eve party.
Do also check out these Antipasti Kabobs. Simply click on the link or image to view recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎