A slight Asian twist to this hearty Beef Stew with Pearl Onions and Carrots. Delicious with a bowl of steamed rice or crusty bread.
The sun is finally out after a rainy and dreary week. Definitely something to be cheerful about. The neighborhood is buzzing with the sound of lawn movers as almost everyone is out moving their yard. I kid you not, the grass has grown several inches in just that one week! When it rains, they grow like crazy but the weeds grow even faster…sigh!
Beef Stew with Asian Twist
Temperatures dipped into the 40’s for low and 50’s for high. Out came the sweaters and we were back to craving for stews, soups, and comfort foods. With two grown sons home for semester break, this hearty Beef Stew with Pearl Onions and Carrots was the way to go. The crushed black peppercorns and dark soy sauce gave the stew a slight Asian twist, perfect for serving with rice. I had two very happy campers at the dinner table that evening. 🙂
Similar Tools Used in Making This Beef Stew with Pearl Onions and Carrots
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2.5 lbs boneless chuck roast (cut into bite sized pieces) (1.13kg)
- 1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- ½ lb pearl onions (225g)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 medium size carrots (peeled and cut into bite sized chunks)
- Salt to taste
- In a medium sized pot, heat vegetable oil. Add beef and allow it to brown for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add cracked black peppercorns, pearl onions, and dark soy sauce. Give it a good stir.
- Pour in 2½ cups (600ml) water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add carrots and salt. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎