Easy to prepare creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and melted cheese. So comforting and delicious!
Would you believe that I have not tasted Chicken Enchilada Soup until very recently? It was quite a discovery for me and to make up for lost time, I immediately decided I wanted to replicate it in my own kitchen. This soup hits all the right notes – creamy, spicy, and flavorful with lots of textures. It has meat and vegetables all in one bowl, further enhanced by the garnishes. Definitely a must try!
Chunky Chicken Enchilada Soup
The version that I first tasted was a little creamier and smoother. This recipe inspired by the one found on Serious Eats has a sharper and more tangy taste. It is chunkier in texture with whole black beans and corn kernels. This soup also has a richer color making it look very appetizing.
For simplicity and ease of preparation, I use canned red enchilada sauce which comes in three levels of heat – mild, medium, and hot. I chose the medium which worked out nicely for our family. Please leave out the lime juice if you prefer the taste to be a little less bright and tangy.
Tools Used in Making This Chicken Enchilada Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 ears corn (kernels removed)
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained (15oz/425g)
- 12 oz cooked chicken (shredded) (340g)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5oz/411g)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (1lb 3oz/538g)
- 4 cups chicken stock (960ml)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (226g)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup shredded cheese (56g)
- Tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Fry onions until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno pepper. Continue to fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add corn, black beans, chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and chicken stock. Stir to get everything well mixed. Bring soup to a boil over medium heat.
- Add salt, lime juice (if using), and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese has melted and is heated through. Turn off stove.
- Serve warm topped with chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, and crushed tortilla chips.
Since we had this soup as a meal, I served it with garlic bread and tortilla chips. It was truly delicious!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎