Few things are more comforting than coming home to this easy and deliciously creamy Slow…
Easy to prepare creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and melted cheese. So comforting and delicious!
Would you believe that I have not tasted Chicken Enchilada Soup until very recently? It was quite a discovery for me and to make up for lost time, I immediately decided I wanted to replicate it in my own kitchen. This soup hits all the right notes – creamy, spicy, and flavorful with lots of textures. It has meat and vegetables all in one bowl, further enhanced by the garnishes. Definitely a must try!
Chunky Chicken Enchilada Soup
The version that I first tasted was a little creamier and smoother. This recipe inspired by the one found on Serious Eats has a sharper and more tangy taste. It is chunkier in texture with whole black beans and corn kernels. This soup also has a richer color making it look very appetizing.
For simplicity and ease of preparation, I use canned red enchilada sauce which comes in three levels of heat – mild, medium, and hot. I chose the medium which worked out nicely for our family. Please leave out the lime juice if you prefer the taste to be a little less bright and tangy.
Tools Used in Making This Chicken Enchilada Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 ears corn (kernels removed)
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained (15oz/425g)
- 12 oz cooked chicken (shredded) (340g)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5oz/411g)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (1lb 3oz/538g)
- 4 cups chicken stock (960ml)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (226g)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup shredded cheese (56g)
- Tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Fry onions until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno pepper. Continue to fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add corn, black beans, chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and chicken stock. Stir to get everything well mixed. Bring soup to a boil over medium heat.
- Add salt, lime juice (if using), and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese has melted and is heated through. Turn off stove.
- Serve warm topped with chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, and crushed tortilla chips.
Since we had this soup as a meal, I served it with garlic bread and tortilla chips. It was truly delicious!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎