Jackfruit Shrimp Curry (Gulai Nangka Udang) – the combination of jackfruit and shrimp in this fragrant spicy sweet curry is a must try. It is so delicious!
Gulai Nangka (Jackfruit Curry) is usually cooked using unripe or young jackfruit. The entire unripe fruit including the flesh, seeds, and membrane is cut into small chunks and cooked. The outer thorny skin and core are removed. It is then cooked in a curry sauce until tender.
Nangka a.k.a. Jackfruit
Today’s Jackfruit Shrimp Curry (Gulai Nangka Udang) is quite different from the Indian, Indonesian, and Thai versions out there. I used a portion of the ripe jackfruit I purchased at the Asian market recently in this light and flavorful curry.
I used the same spice paste from my Chicken Curry with Kaffir Lime Leaves for the sauce which has a distinctive Nyonya flavor. I have to say I am very pleased with how the dish turned out. It was a little sweet, a little spicy, quite fragrant, and very delicious!
Did you know that jackfruit seeds are edible? They are actually quite tasty, similar in texture to that of boiled chestnuts. The preparation is very simple. Simply boil them in salt water for about 30 minutes or until soft. Peel off the outer waxy skin and eat as is or add them to curries.
This curry cooks really quickly. Do not overcook the jackfruit or it will become mushy. It should still be quite firm after cooking.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Jackfruit Shrimp Curry
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Oster 6-Cup Glass Jar 12-Speed Blender
Pyrex Prepware 1-Cup Measuring Cup
Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Spoon Set
Jackfruit Shrimp Curry (Gulai Nangka Udang)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut milk (240ml)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 pieces assam gelugor **
- 12 oz shrimp (peeled and deveined) (340g)
- 12 oz jackfruit / nangka (peeled) (340g)
- Cooked jackfruit seeds (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 5 red chilies (cut into small pieces)
- 6 shallots or 1 medium sized onion (peeled, and cut into small pieces)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and halved)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (slice bottom third into rings)
- 1 inch galangal or ginger root
- 1 inch turmeric ***
- Grind spice paste ingredients in a blender or food processor with ¼ cup (60ml) water.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium sized pot. Add spice paste and stir fry until fragrant, about 5 to 6 minutes. Pour in coconut milk. Add kaffir lime leaves and assam gelugor (if using). Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When sauce comes to a boil, add shrimp, jackfruit, cooked jackfruit seeds (if using) and salt. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Shrimp should turn curl and jackfruit heated through.
- If you did not use assam gelugor, stir in lime juice now.
- Turn off heat and allow curry to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestion Jackfruit Shrimp Curry
Always serve this fruity and tasty curry with steamed rice and be sure to have lots of it on hand. Do give it a try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply