These easy to prepare Chinese Chicken Salad Cups are perfect for any social gathering. Watch them disappear as they will be everyone’s favorite appetizer.
When we left Malaysia to come live here in the Midwest, I never thought I would miss the hot and humid weather of the tropics. After two decades with six months out of the year of brutally cold weather, I can’t tell you how much I look forward to summer now. It can be hot but thankfully not as humid here. I especially appreciate being able to just go collect the mail from the mailbox without having to put on a heavy winter jacket. Best of all, there is no need to clear snow off the driveway.
There is a lot more interaction with the neighbors because the winter hibernation is over. It seems like everyone is out and about with people tending to their yards and kids playing outside. During the weekends, the aroma of grilled food and laughter fills the air. Family and friends get together to enjoy a meal, usually outdoors.
Lighter foods with lots of fresh colorful vegetables and fruits are preferred. Salads, like these easy to prepare Chinese Chicken Salad Cups will always be well received. They not only look good but can easily be held and eaten outdoors. The crunchy salad in crispy baked wonton cups will surely be a hit with the adults as well as the children. I made these over the weekend and we enjoyed it very much. I know you will too.
For more exciting dishes like these Chinese Chicken Salad Cups (which was very easy to replicate), please check out my friend, Charmaine’s newly launched The Healthy Wok Chinese Cookbook (affiliate link). It has 88 delicious family favorites and classic recipes with easy to follow instructions and helpful advice for variations and substitutions. Incidentally, yours truly wrote the foreword for this beautiful cookbook. 🙂
Now, a little bit about Charmaine…
Like me, she was born and raised in Malaysia. She started cooking for herself when she moved to the United States to attend university by recalling the lessons learned from her mother and grandmother in the kitchen. Today, she is the author of the food blog, Wok & Skillet where she shares her passion for creating simple and delicious recipes with the world.
If you would like a copy of this cookbook, you are in the right place. You can enter to win by scrolling down and leaving a comment on this blog post. This giveaway is only open to US residents.
Please note that I made a small adaptation to Charmaine’s recipe below. The wonton wrappers that I purchased were a little bit small. As such, I had to use two wrappers to make one crispy wonton cup. I did that by placing one wrapper to one side and another wrapper to the other side of two separate muffin pan indentations. After baking, I combine the two while they are still warm and pliable. Do not put the two wrappers in one indentation or the base will not crisp up.
Chinese Chicken Salad Cups
- 8 oz skinless boneless chicken tenderloins (225g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 32 wonton wrappers **
- 1 small head romaine lettuce (thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot (julienned)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (25g)
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped) (10g)
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over chicken tenderloins.
- In a medium fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable over medium heat. Add chicken tenderloins and cook until light golden color, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and cut into small cubes.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Brush each wonton wrapper with a thin layer of oil. Arrange wonton wrappers in a regular size muffin pan to form little cups. You may have to use two wrappers to form a cup by placing one wrapper to one side and another wrapper to the other side of two separate muffin pan indentations.
- Bake wrappers for 6 to 8 minutes.
- If you are using two wrappers to form a cup, combine the two while they are still warm and pliable. Allow wonton cups to cool completely.
- Toast sliced almonds in a small fry pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and allow it to cool.
- Combine apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, and honey in a small bowl. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine romaine lettuce, cooked chicken, carrot, green onions, almonds, and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over the ingredients and toss well.
- Fill each wonton cup with salad and serve immediately.
This giveaway is open to US residents only until midnight CST Wednesday, July 12th, 2017. A winner will be chosen randomly after the closing date. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. The prize is one (1) copy of The Healthy Wok Chinese Cookbook by Charmaine Ferrara. All the best!
If you wish to purchase the book, please click here (affiliate link).
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎