Enjoy your fruit and sandwich together in this Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Delicious as is…
Tender, juicy, and flavorful Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub. They are a real treat for a weekend barbecue!
Happy Memorial Day! Today is the unofficial start to all kinds of summer activities and no weekend is complete without the backyard barbecue. Like the rest of our neighbors, we fired up the grill for the very first time this weekend. I bought 4 beautiful pieces of 1¼ inch thick steaks for these Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub. They were a real treat!
Normally, I would use a store bought spice rub but this time I decided to make my own. I put together a combination of spices from my pantry to create the rub and dry fried (or toasted) it on the stove until fragrant. I allowed the rub to cool before mixing in some brown sugar and salt.
The amount of spice rub is sufficient for 8 steaks. Store the remaining in an air tight jar in a cool pace. This spice rub may be used on chicken as well. The 2 pieces of bone-in chicken breast you see in the picture below was marinated with a combination of this same spice rub and plain yogurt to keep it moist. It was really good.
- 4 bone-in New York strip steaks (1¼ to 1½ inch thick)
- vegetable oil
- Combine all spice rub ingredients except brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Dry fry in a fry pan for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until fragrant. Remove and allow spice rub to cool. Mix in brown sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle each piece of steak generously with spice rub on both sides. Allow flavors to develop for 30 minutes.
- Store remaining spice rub in an air tight jar.
- Preheat the grill to high. Brush some oil on the grates.
- Place steaks on the grates and close the lid. Grill steaks for 7 to 9 minutes** on each side for medium doneness. Watch closely to avoid flare-ups by opening the lid occasionally. Move steaks to a different part of the grill to avoid charring if flare-ups occur.
- Flip only once.
- Transfer steaks to a platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.
Tender, juicy, and flavorful Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub. Enjoy…..
Update (December 6th, 2016): It’s December and it’s cold outside with snow on the ground but that is not going to stop us from enjoying our steaks. Simply sear both sides of steaks 3 minutes each side in a grill pan on the stove. Then transfer the entire pan into a preheated 350˚F (180˚C) oven for 5 minutes. Remove from grill pan onto a plate. Let steaks rest for 10 minutes and you’ve got some delicious and juicy steaks for dinner in the winter…oh yeah!