Tender, juicy, and flavorful Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub. They are a real treat for a weekend barbecue!
Hooray…the weather is starting to warm up and the days are getting longer! After a long winter with all that is happening and 2 late snow storms, I am ready for warmer weather. It has been hard being cooped up in the house with no where to go. With warmer weather I will be able to work in the yard and that is a joy. We can also fire up the grill and prepare some of these delicious Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub. Now, that’s a real treat!
Homemade Spice Rub
Normally, I would use a store bought spice rub but I figured that it is time to make my own. I put together a combination of spices from the pantry to create a rub and dry fried (or toasted) it on the stove until fragrant. Allow the rub to cool before mixing in some brown sugar and salt. It turned out really nicely and was quite fragrant.
The amount of spice rub in this recipe is sufficient for 8 steaks. Store the remaining rub in an air tight jar in a cool place. You can also use this spice rub on chicken. The 2 pieces of bone-in chicken breast you see in the picture below were marinated with a combination of this same spice rub and plain yogurt to keep it moist. They were really good.
Similar Tools Used in Making These Grilled New York Strip Steaks
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub
- 4 bone-in New York strip steaks (1¼ to 1½ inch thick)
- vegetable oil
- Combine all spice rub ingredients except brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Dry fry in a fry pan for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until fragrant. Remove and allow spice rub to cool. Mix in brown sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle each piece of steak generously with spice rub on both sides. Allow flavors to develop for 30 minutes.
- Store remaining spice rub in an air tight jar.
- Preheat the grill to high. Brush some oil on the grates.
- Place steaks on the grates and close the lid. Grill steaks for 7 to 9 minutes** on each side for medium doneness. Watch closely to avoid flare-ups by opening the lid occasionally. Move steaks to a different part of the grill to avoid charring if flare-ups occur.
- Flip only once.
- Transfer steaks to a platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.
Tender, juicy, and flavorful Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Homemade Spice Rub. Grilled steaks are the best thing about cooking outdoors!
Prepared Indoors on the Stove and Completed in the Oven
Update (December 6th, 2016): It’s December and it’s cold outside with snow on the ground but that is not going to stop us from enjoying our steaks. Simply sear both sides of steaks 3 minutes each side in a grill pan on the stove. Then transfer the entire pan into a preheated 350˚F (180˚C) oven for 5 minutes. Remove from grill pan onto a plate. Let steaks rest for 10 minutes and you’ve got some delicious and juicy steaks for dinner in the winter…oh yeah!
NOTE: The original publication of this post was on May 26th, 2014. This republication comes with changes to the writeup. The recipe remains unchanged.