Make this elegant Seared Tuna with Wasabi Mayo for your guests or a special occasion. It is deliciously meaty and takes only minutes to prepare.
Pan Seared Tuna is a nice bridge between sashimi and flaky cooked tuna. It has a savory crust with a moist and juicy interior. When sliced and plated it reveals a lovely pink center which looks really elegant. It is a real treat for your guests or any special occasion.
Some weeks back, tuna was on sale at my local grocery store. The pre-cut slabs on the shelf looked really fresh and they reminded me of this Seared Tuna with Wasabi Mayo which I had previously made. I was excited and immediately requested for a freshly cut 2 inch thick slab to be brought home.
Since fish cooks easily, it is important for the slab of tuna to be relatively thick in this preparation. This is to ensure that the fish is not cooked through, hence the pink middle. Searing only takes 1 to 2 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Always use a heavy bottom pan for high and even heating.
I made a simple and fragrant Wasabi Mayo Sauce to complement the fish. The lime juice gives it a hint of tanginess to balance the rich and creamy texture of the fish.
Tools Used in Making This Seared Tuna with Wasabi Mayo
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 1 tbsp wasabi powder mix with 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Place tuna in a shallow bowl.
- Mix soy sauce and mirin in a small bowl. Pour over tuna. After 5 minutes, flip tuna and allow it to marinate for another 5 minutes.
- Mix all wasabi mayo ingredients together thoroughly in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan on the stove over medium high heat. Sear tuna on all sides for 1 to 2 minutes on each side to form a slight crust.
- Remove and slice tuna into ¼ inch thick slices. Serve immediately with wasabi mayo.
This Seared Tuna with Wasabi Mayo can be served on a bed of salad greens as an appetizer or roasted vegetables for a light dinner. Seen here are my Roasted Vegetables with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette. Do give it a try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎