A touch of the Irish Potato, Leek, and Chicken Pot Pie topped with crispy puff pastry. It is warm, comforting, and delicious.
Every year after the Thanksgiving turkey dinner, Ro-Jiro would drop hints about a follow up dish in the form of a pot pie using the leftover turkey. I usually oblige him but with the most recent Thanksgiving, I used up the meat for this Turkey Congee. For that reason he was not able to get his pot pie fix up until now. Although there was a delay this time round, I think he would agree with me that it was well worth his wait. 😉
A Touch of the Irish Potato, Leek, and Chicken Pot Pie
Since St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, I decided to make the filling with a touch of the Irish using potatoes and leeks, two ingredients very popular in the Emerald Isle. I had one remaining sheet of puff pastry in the freezer and so I used it as a topper for the pies. That made it really easy as I only needed to concentrate on the filling which is pretty straight forward and simple.
Similar Tools Used in Making These Potato, Leek, and Chicken Pot Pie
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1¼ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (565g)
- 2 medium leeks (sliced) (½ lb/225g)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups milk (420ml)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- 1 lb potatoes (cubed) (450g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry (9 oz/250g)
- 1 large egg (beaten with 1 tbsp water)
- Melt butter in a medium sized pan. Cook chicken for 5 minutes until browned all over.
- Add leeks and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Gradually pour in milk and bring to a boil.
- Add mustard, sage, potatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Divide filling into 4 equal portions. Spoon each portion into an individual 5-inch pie plate.
- Cut puff pastry into 4. Top each pie plate with puff pastry, trimming off excess. Press or crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush pastry with egg wash. Place pie plates on a tray and bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 23 to 25 minutes.
Ro-Jiro thoroughly enjoyed his Potato, Leek, and Chicken Pot Pie and so did the rest of the family. As soon as he finished his, he requested that I make it again soon. I guess it may be a good idea for me to replenish my freezer with another box of puff pastry soon. 🙂
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎