Enjoy your fruit and sandwich together in this Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Delicious as is…
These simple yet delightful Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are soft and chewy with a fresh strawberry filling. You cannot even tell they are gluten free.
Strawberries are one of my boys favorite fruits. I buy them often when they are in season. Most of the time, we just eat them on their own and sometimes in a salad like this Spring Greens, Strawberry, and Feta Salad. Occasionally, I do like to bake with them. Please do check out this Strawberry Sour Cream Scones and Strawberry Cupcakes. This time round, I wanted to make something simple but did not want to spend too much time doing it. I stumbled upon this recipe which I adapted to come up with these delightful gluten free Strawberry Oatmeal Bars.
They were an instant success in the family and did not last beyond two days. Although they were gluten free, you really cannot tell that they were. I used a mix of brown rice and tapioca flour as a base for the bars but they can be easily substituted with all-purpose flour on a 1:1 ratio. Tapioca flour is made from the root of the cassava plant and it imparts “chew” to baked goods. I thought the soft and chewy texture of these Strawberry Oatmeal Bars were excellent.
What I appreciate about this recipe is that it is relatively simple and easy. There is no need for any special equipment at all, not even a hand held mixer. If you do not have a pastry blender, just use two forks or butter knives to cut the butter in the flour. The hardest part of the recipe is probably the waiting for the baked goodie to cool completely before cutting as it can be a little soft when warm. The wonderful aroma makes it even more so.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
- Grease a 9-in x 13-in (23cm x 33cm) baking pan. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine strawberries, sugar, cinnamon, and corn starch in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown rice flour, tapioca flour, quick rolled oats, brown sugar, and baking powder. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two butter knives until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Press half the mixture into the prepared pan. Top evenly with strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of flour mixture on the top and press down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake until light brown, about 50 minutes. Allow it to cool completely before cutting into squares.
These Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are fabulous eaten with a scoop of ice cream or a cup of tea. I hope you will give it a try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎