This creamy and subtly spiced Ginger Tea Ice Cream (Teh Halia Ice Cream) was inspired…
Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Ice Cream – a delightfully creamy homemade vanilla cream cheese ice cream swirl with a simple homemade strawberry sauce.
I bought several punnets of organic strawberries recently when they were on sale. I could not help myself as strawberries are my hubby’s and boys’ favorite. The strawberries were so sweet and juicy. I used a punnet for these Strawberry Oatmeal Bars and quickly made a sauce with yet another punnet for today’s Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Ice Cream. We ate the rest in no time at all.
Almost two years ago, I made this Pistachio Ice Cream adapted from one of Jeni Britton‘s egg free recipes. It produced an unforgettable ice cream texture which I have have always wanted to repeat. I decided to use that tried and tested formula for this Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Ice Cream. It did not disappoint. I was again delighted with the creamy and silky smooth texture of the ice cream. The flavor was very good too. The base vanilla cream cheese ice cream combined beautifully with the strawberry sauce.
I used only a quarter cup of sugar for the sauce since the strawberries were relatively sweet. Please do adjust according to your taste. One punnet, which is equivalent to approximately one pound of strawberries yielded quite a bit of sauce. I reserved slightly more than half a cup to be drizzled on the top of the ice cream when served. It was delicious!
- 1 lb strawberries (hulled and quartered)
- ¼ cup sugar (55g)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cream cheese (softened)
- 1½ cups whole milk (360ml)
- 1½ cup heavy whipping cream (360ml)
- ½ cup sugar (110g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freeze ice cream bowl for 24 hours.
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Do not cover but mashed strawberries with spatula and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens, about 12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of milk. In another bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine remaining milk with cream and sugar over medium heat. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in corn starch mixture until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Ladle ½ cup (120ml) hot milk mixture into bowl with cream cheese to melt it slightly. Pour cream cheese mixture back into saucepan and whisk till smooth and combined. Add vanilla essence and salt and stir to combine. Allow mixture to cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen bowl on base of ice cream maker and turn it on. Pour chilled mixture into frozen bowl and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer ice cream to a container with a lid. Reserve ½ cup of strawberry mixture (to drizzle over ice cream when eating) and place spoonfuls of the rest all over ice cream. Gently swirl with a butter knife. Cover and freeze for a couple of hours.
- When ice cream is completely frozen, allow it to soften slightly on the counter before serving.
Homemade ice creams are a real treat. Many different flavors can be created with just a few ingredients and very little effort. This is especially true if you have an ice cream maker which does all the hard work. This small appliance is very reasonably prized these days and is totally worth the investment.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎