This cool, refreshing, and tasty Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi will surely perk up your rice meals. It has a crunchy texture and is easy to prepare.
With so much green onions (scallions) in the refrigerator, I had to find ways to use them. So far, I have made three dishes out of it. The first one was this Ginger Scallion Beef Stir Fry which had a good amount of scallions in it. Today’s Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi used over two times more scallions. After which I am left with just enough for another dish.
Homemade Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
While cabbage kimchi can be easily purchase, Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi is rarely seen at the stores, at least that is the case in my neck of the woods. Good thing it is not difficult to make and it can be eaten as soon as it is prepared. In fact, I prefer it fresh with little fermentation. That way, the cucumbers remain crunchy.
Perfect Size Cucumbers for Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
Summer is the best time to prepare Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi when Kirby or small cucumbers are easily available. I found these at the Minneapolis Farmers Market over the weekend. They were the perfect size. Fresh garlic were also being sold and so I picked up a few bulbs as well. I had the rest of the ingredients in my kitchen and so I was eager to get started.
The version I am sharing today is totally vegan with a “brighter” taste. The other recipe on this blog, Stuffed Oi Kimchi has salted fermented shrimp (Saeujeot 새우젓), giving it a slight “umami” flavor. It is a matter of preference but I do think that both are equally tasty.
The scallions harvested from our vegetable garden had small onion bulbs at the base. Instead of chopping them up, I decided to keep them whole and mix them with the leftover stuffing. I am glad I did because they were quite sweet and delicious eaten whole.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
- 10 Kirby cucumbers
- 2 tbsp kosher salt / coarse salt
For the Stuffing
- 2 tbsp Korean red pepper powder
- 1 red chili (finely diced)
- ½ inch ginger (minced) (15g)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 oz green onions / scallions, finely diced (113g)
- 1 carrot (finely diced)
- Rinse cucumbers and drain. Cut off the both ends of cucumber. Halve cucumber crosswise into two. Quarter each cucumber half along its length starting from the center of the cucumber leaving about ½ inch of the other end intact.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and leave at room temperature for about two hours. Drain.
- Mix all stuffing ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Wearing a pair of kitchen gloves, stuff prepared cucumbers with stuffing.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator and consume within a week.
Serve 2 to 3 pieces of Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi in small bowls as a starter or condiment. The remainder should be kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator and consume within a week.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎