Szechuan peppercorns are the outer pods of small, reddish brown aromatic prickly ash berries. It…
This classic Ginger Scallion Beef Stir Fry takes only 20 minutes to prepare. The beef is tender and pairs well with the ginger and scallion.
In this age of mobile communication, one can be harvesting vegetables in the garden and chatting with a friend all at the same time. For better or for worse, it is now common place to share what you are up to instantly. In my excitement on harvesting over 1 1/4 pounds of green onions, I did just that.
I shared a picture of my crop with a friend and she immediately reminded me of this Ginger Scallion Beef Stir Fry which I have not cooked in a while. I am really glad she did because this is one of the few dishes that uses a good amount of green onions a.k.a. scallions. It is a delicious way to use up part of my harvest.
Sliced beef takes very little time to cook and so this dish is only in the pan for about 5 to 6 minutes. Preparation time is also relatively short, making it an ideal dish for busy weeknights.
Do not overcook the beef. It should be stir fried for no more than 3 minutes. Any longer and it will be tough and dry. The same goes for the scallions. Throw them into the wok towards the end for about 10 to 20 seconds before turning off the stove. This will ensure that they remain green and plump.
Ginger Scallion Beef Stir Fry
- 1 lb flank steak (often sold as stir-fry beef) or top sirloin steak still partially frozen (450g)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 inch ginger (peeled and thinly sliced) (30g)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Salt to taste
- 8 scallions / green onions / spring onions, cut into 2-inch strips at a diagonal (about 50g)
- Trim fat from around beef. Slice against the grain as thinly as possible. Marinate beef with black pepper, cornstarch, soy sauce, Shao Hsing cooking wine, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil for 10 minutes.
- Place wok on the stove over medium high. When hot, add vegetable oil. Fry ginger for about 1 minute. Add garlic and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add marinated beef by spreading it out in the pan. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add salt and scallions. Stir fry for 20 seconds. Turn off stove. Drizzle remaining teaspoon sesame oil over beef and scallions.
- Remove and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Finally, you want to serve this Ginger Scallion Beef Stir Fry as soon as it is plated. It is best eaten hot out of the wok with steamed rice. Do give it a try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎