Often times, the side dish makes the meal. This is one of our favorites and…
These vegan Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice make a lovely and tasty side dish. Meat can easily be added to the stuffing if preferred.
Stuffed vegetables and fruits are a treat and a feast for the senses. Delicious food served in brightly colored edible containers are very attractive and appealing. Peppers, squashes, melons, citrus fruits, and any other fruit or vegetable with a thick rind can be used as a container. With more and more produce coming into season, now is the best time to prepare some of these wonderful treats.
I bought a bunch of peppers as they were on sale this week. Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice make a lovely and tasty side dish, one that the family enjoys. Although this dish is vegan, a little minced meat can easily be added for the carnivores out there. For a crunchy top, add some panko or cheese in the last five minutes of baking.
Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1½ cups short grain brown rice (rinsed and drained) (300g)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth (480ml)
- 1 cup finely diced peppers fromthe tops of cut off peppers
- 1 tomato (finely diced)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- green onions (finely sliced for garnishing)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. In the mean time, cut off the tops of peppers about half an inch from the stem and remove the seeds. Do not throw out the tops. Remove stem finely dice the flesh. Add a little salt to boiling water and completely submerge peppers with thongs. Cook peppers for about 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized pot. Add garlic, peppers, and thyme. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Stir in rice and tomatoes.
- Add water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and allow to simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice and spoon into prepared peppers.
- Place on a baking dish and bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes. Remove and garnish with green onions. Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎