Sweet Mung Bean and Sago Soup with a Southeast Asian touch. Pandan leaves, sago, and coconut milk make it even more flavorful.
The Chinese have a whole range of sweet soups. Known as tong sui in Cantonese, these soups are usually served at the end of a meal. They are light and refreshing making them wonderful low fat summer desserts. Most are served warm but some are delicious chilled.
Mung Beans (Green Beans)
Mung beans, also known as green beans are small cylindrical beans with a bright green color. They can be used whole, split, or hulled. Whole beans are usually boiled. They are also germinated to produce bean sprouts. Split and hulled mung beans are light yellow in color and often made into a paste for pancakes or filling. Mung bean starch is extracted to make transparent cellophane noodles, also known as bean threads or glass noodles.
Southeast Asian Influence
Sweet Mung Bean and Sago Soup is considered cooling and is very easy to prepare. They cook a little faster than red or adzuki beans. The addition of pandan leaves, sago, and coconut milk is a Southeast Asian enhancement to the Chinese original. Please also check out my Sweet Red Bean Soup recipe.
Tools Used in Making This Sweet Mung Bean and Sago Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
T-fal Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Anti-Warp Base Glass Lid Cookware, 12-Inch, Gray
Le Creuset of America Craft Series Medium Spatula – Marseille
Sweet Mung Bean and Sago Soup
- 1 cup mung beans (rinsed and soaked for at least 2 hours, drained) (220g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar ** (135g)
- 6 cups water (1.5liters)
- 2 pandan leaves (rinsed and knotted)
- ½ cup sago / tapioca pearls, soaked for 10 minutes, rinsed and drained (40g)
- 1 cup coconut milk (240ml)
- In a large pot, combine mung beans, brown sugar, water, and pandan leaves. Bring to a boil, redude heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until mung bean splits open.
- Add sago pearls and coconut milk. Simmer for another 8 minutes or until sago pearls turn translucent. Add a little water if soup gets too thick.
- Serve warm or chilled.
NOTE: New pictures were added to this post on April 14th, 2016.
Leave a Reply