Only a few simple ingredients used in these gluten free Sweet Potato Balls deep fried…
This egg free Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumb Topping is like a dessert. It is creamy, not too sweet, and perfect for your holiday table.
Candied Sweet Potatoes is one of my most favorite side dishes for the holidays. I absolutely love this dish because it is almost like a dessert. The guys prefer mashed potatoes and so we usually have some leftover after the big dinner. I don’t mind at all because I get to eat more of it over the next day or two.
Sweet Potato – a Must-Have for the Holidays
For me personally, a sweet potato side dish is a must-have for the holidays. Last year I made a sweet potato casserole topped with chopped pecans surrounded by mini marshmallows. It was good but I found the marshmallow topping a little too sweet. This year, I decided to give it another try by changing the topping. Hence, this Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumb Topping.
Egg Free Recipe
This recipe is not exactly a new creation as I have seen it numerous times on the internet. However, most do come with eggs. My version on the other hand, has no eggs and there is no additional sugar in the sweet potatoes. The absence of the two makes the dish a little lighter which is great. I only used a quarter cup brown sugar in the topping to bind it together and to provide flavor. The chopped pecans provide crunch and texture. The end result was like eating a sweet potato cobbler. Very tasty and satisfying indeed!
It made me happy that this time round, both Ro-Taro and Ro-Jiro took a good portion each on top of the mashed potatoes. The pecan crumb topping must have enticed them. 😉 Whatever the case, we had a wonderful dinner and great fellowship around the table. Always so good to have the boys home – that and so much more to be thankful for this season. I hope yours was a good one too!
Similar Tools Used in Making This Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumb Topping
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumb Topping
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed) (900g)
- 2 tbsp butter (28g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk (120ml)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (38g)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (45g)
- 2 tbsp butter (28g)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans (50g)
- Boiled cubed sweet potatoes in an inch of water for 15 minutes or until very tender. Water should mostly be absorbed. Transfer to a big bowl.
- Add butter, vanilla extract, and milk. Mash or whisk sweet potatoes until smooth. Transfer to an 8-inch diameter casserole dish.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all-purpose flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Cut butter with fork until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in pecans.
- Sprinkle topping over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350˚F (180˚C) oven for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is lightly brown.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎