This hearty and delicious Tomato, Ham, and Potato Skillet is a great way to use up homegrown or store bought cherry tomatoes. Makes a delicious weekend breakfast or brunch.
Breakfast is a very important meal at our house. No one leaves the home in the morning with an empty stomach. During the week days we usually have toast and a cup of tea. On Saturday mornings, our favorite is Ro-Ri San’s Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas. Our sons look forward to dad’s breakfast quesadillas and request for it as soon as they return home from college. I get to sit back, relax, and enjoy my breakfast. 🙂
Occasionally on Sundays, I will try something new. Of late, I have taken a liking to hearty breakfast skillets and this Tomato, Ham, and Potato Skillet is my latest concoction. In June when I harvested some green onions from Our Vegetable Garden, I made this Sausage, Potato, and Egg Skillet. Last weekend we had a good harvest of tomatoes. According to the label, these are supposed to be cherry tomatoes but they look more like grape tomatoes to me. In any case, they are tasty little bites that I figured would work well in a breakfast skillet. I was not wrong. They were sweet, juicy, and combined nicely with the eggs. They also made the dish look quite pretty and very inviting.
At the last minute, I spied the remaining spring mix I had left in the refrigerator. Vegetables are good any time of the day and so into the skillet they went to provide a contrast of colors and textures. As it turned out, this Tomato, Ham, and Potato Skillet is in itself a complete meal. We finished the entire skillet among the four of us but it can easily feed six.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Tomato, Ham, and Potato Skillet
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 6 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 oz ham (cut into strips) (113g)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3 medium size potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 4 oz spring mix / baby spinach(113g)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (113g)
- 16 to 20 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Brown ham. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the skillet. Fry onion for 2 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Sprinkle browned ham over potatoes.
- Add spring mix to the skillet.
- In a medium sized bowl, lightly beat eggs, salt, and ground pepper. Add milk and continue to beat until combine. Pour egg mixture over ham and vegetables in the skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top. Place tomatoes cut side up all over the skillet.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove and switch oven to broil. Place oven rack to the topmost position. Return skillet to the oven and broil until tomatoes and cheese are slightly brown.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎