A beautiful Green Tomato Tart layered with cheese, caramelized onions, green tomatoes, feta, and mint…
Delicious Triple Berry Tart with flaky hazelnut crust and juicy blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries filling. Recipe includes gluten free option.
Summer is the season for berries and they are often on sale too. It is hard to walk past those juicy berries without picking up a punnet or two. I think I have been buying some almost every week as everybody loves them. Whatever we cannot finish, I throw into the freezer for later.
Many of you know that we went on vacation to Quebec at the end of June and only got home on the 4th of July. This Triple Berry Tart was supposed to be published while we were away for Independence Day celebrations but unfortunately I was not able to get the post out before we left. I was experimenting with using two cameras for the video shoot and the processing took longer than usual. Long story short, I finally finished the editing and figured that I should publish it since there are still lots of berries out there.
I made two tarts – one using all-purpose flour and the other using a mix of potato starch, tapioca flour, and brown rice flour for a gluten free crust. They were both equally popular at our house. I added some hazelnut meal for both crusts and they were light, fragrant, and flaky.
The key to a flaky crust is not to over work the dough. For this reason, I prefer to use a food processor with a dough blade to form the dough. I tend to want to knead the dough a little too much when I use the traditional method. This results in the butter melting and is absorbed into the flour. Thus, reducing the chance of producing a flaky crust. If you do not have a food processor, use a light hand. Add only enough cold water for the dough to form a cohesive ball. It should not be sticky. Also be sure to use cold butter, milk, or water.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (150g)
- ⅓ cup hazelnut meal (30g)
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp cold salted butter (cubed) (80g)
- 3 tbsp cold water
Gluten Free Crust
- ½ lb blueberries (225g)
- 6 oz raspberries (170g)
- ½ lb strawberries, hulled and quartered (225g)
- ½ cup sugar (110g)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (or rice flour for gluten free option)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place all-purpose flour (potato starch, tapioca flour, and rice flour for gluten free crust) and hazelnut meal in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Add powdered sugar and butter. Pulse again until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add cold water and pulse again until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly or pat to form a disk. Wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Unwrap onto a non-stick pastry mat (or a large piece of wax paper). Roll into a 12-inch circle. Invert onto a 9-inch removable bottom tart pan. Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and sides of the tart pan. Trim dough to the edges of the pan, patching where necessary.
- Prick sides and bottom of crust with a fork. Line crust with double layer of foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Form trimmed edges into a ball. Roll it out and cut into desired shapes with a small cookie cutter. (This step is optional.)
- Combine blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries in a large bowl. Add granulated sugar and all-purpose flour (or rice flour for gluten free option). Mix well. Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Remove tart crust out of the oven and reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Spoon filling into tart crust. Place cut-out dough decoratively all over the filling.
- Return the tart to the oven and bake for another 45 minutes. Remove and allow tart to cool before serving with freshly whipped cream.
Berry tarts and pies are delicious served with freshly whipped cream. Always chill the bowl and whisk for use in whipping the cream. I hope you will give this recipe a try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎