Treat your family to this Slow Cooker Honey Spare Ribs. It is juicy, flavorful, and…
This Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Congee is a delicious way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken. Makes a soothing and comforting breakfast or lunch.
Have you ever wondered why the rotisserie chicken hot bar is often conveniently located next to the check out counters at many grocery stores? Well, it is to remind you to not to forget to pick one up on your way out. I have to confess that this marketing ploy is very effective because I have fallen for it myself countless of times. To confirm that you have made the right decision, the friendly counter clerk further adds that the chicken smells great and is making her hungry too. So, that is how we sometimes end up with leftover rotisserie chicken.
Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
To be honest, there is seldom leftover rotisserie chicken at our house except when both sons are not home. I can’t exactly remember why there was leftover chicken this time but I quickly seized the opportunity to make this delicious and comforting Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Congee for lunch last Sunday. I prepared all the ingredients the night before and brought them out of the refrigerator in the morning. Place them in the slow cooker insert, heat up the chicken broth, and plugged it on for four and a half hours before we were due home from church.
When we got home, I added the goji berries, diluted the congee with a little water, and lunch was ready in half an hour. It worked out well. There was no need to eat out and no scrambling to prepare lunch for everyone. Best of all, everyone enjoyed lunch and the conversation around the table.
The Slow Cooker and Congee
The slow cooker is one of the best appliance to prepare congee. Just leave it in there and forget it. There is no messy spill over (which often happens when cooked on the stove) and the the congee comes out smooth and creamy each time. If it is too thick simply add some broth or water to dilute to the preferred consistency. Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Congee is comfort food with no fuss and no mess. Gotta to love that! 🙂
Related Products Used in Making This Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Congee
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Congee
- 1½ cups rice (300g)
- ½ lb rotisserie chicken (shredded) (225g)
- 2 inch ginger (peeled and crushed)
- 12 dried red dates (rinsed and soaked for 20 minutes, drained)
- 10 cups chicken broth and a little more to dilute (2.4 liters)
- ¼ cup goji berries (rinsed and soaked for 5 minutes, drained) (30g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions (finely sliced)
- 2 inch ginger (finely julienned)
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- In a large container, rinse rice till water runs clear, about 3 to 4 times, drain. Transfer to slow cooker insert.
- Add ginger and rehydrated red dates. Pour in chicken broth. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- minutes before slow cooker finish cooking, add goji berries, salt, and pepper. If congee is too thick, stir in another sufficient chicken broth (or water) to dilute to preferred consistency. Cover and continue to cook.
- To serve, transfer into individual bowls. Sprinkle with green onions, julienned ginger, and pepper. Drizzle with soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎