Use your left over Thanksgiving turkey for this tasty Turkey Rice Porridge with Peanuts and Scallops. Makes a wonderful breakfast or brunch.
Turkeys are huge birds. The ones found at the grocery stores usually weigh anything from sixteen to twenty five pounds. Smaller birds are few and far in between. Since there are only four of us eating the Thanksgiving turkey this year, I went early to the store and was fortunate enough to find a ten pound bird. Even then, there was quite a bit of left over meat. That is not necessarily a bad thing especially after I discovered turkey congee last year. In fact, I actually looked forward to a steaming bowl of congee for breakfast the next morning.
Preparing the Turkey Broth
I like to prepare the turkey broth immediately after the Thanksgiving feast by boiling the bones and carcass in a large stock pot. That way, it is all ready for use in the morning. Congee is comfort food for me and it is especially good in this cold weather. The version below was made with the addition of red dates and goji berries. It was really delicious! Please click on the picture to get to the post.
This year, I decided to throw in some blanched peanuts and dried scallops. Both including the red dates are often used in Chinese soups. The peanuts lend a sweetness and a slight texture to the congee while the dried scallops gave it an umami flavor. I hope you will give this very tasty Turkey Rice Porridge with Peanuts and Scallops a try.
Products Used in Making This Turkey Rice Porridge with Peanuts and Scallops
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Set of 4 Solid Wood Bowl, 4.5 inch diameter by 2-5/8 inch
Large Dried Scallops (0.5lb)
Small Dried Fresh Scallops (0.5lb)
Turkey Rice Porridge with Peanuts and Scallops
- 12 cups turkey broth and a little more to dilute (2.8 liters)
- 1 cup blanched peanuts (170g)
- 16 red dates (rinsed and soaked for 20 minutes, drained)
- 8 dried scallops (40g)
- 2 cups rice (rinsed and drained) (460g)
- 2 cups turkey meat (300g)
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Finely julienned ginger
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Rinse and soak peanuts in a bowl for 30 minutes. Do the same for red dates and dried scallops in separate bowls. Drain.
- Pour turkey broth into a large pot. Place pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. Add peanuts, red dates, and scallops. When stock comes back to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and allow it simmer for 30 minutes or until peanuts are slightly soft.
- Add rice and turkey meat. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If porridge gets too thick at any point, stir in ½ cup (120ml) water or broth to dilute to preferred consistency.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately in individual bowls. Sprinkle with green onions, ginger, and pepper. Drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil and soy sauce.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply