This warm and comforting Cream of Kabocha and Wild Rice Soup is especially good during…
Usher in spring with this light and tasty Warm Asparagus and Wild Rice Salad. It works well as a side dish or a stand-alone light lunch.
Spring is here! The snow has melted and sweater days are here again. People are beginning to emerge from their homes and much more human activity can be seen and heard around the neighborhood. Children are playing outside and pets are taken for walks more frequently. Some are even clearing their driveways and garages. There is much to be done, but also much to enjoy.
Asparagus are the first signs of spring at the grocery stores. Green, flexible, thick, tender stalks are being sold at very reasonable prices. They are one of my favorite vegetables and I usually buy a pound or two each week. Soon the produce section will expand and become more colorful. It is time to think of lighter recipes with more fruits and vegetables.
I usually do a stir fry with asparagus but today I have decided to make this Warm Asparagus and Wild Rice Salad instead. This light and tasty dish works well as a side dish or a stand-alone light lunch.
- ½ cup wild rice (85g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1 stick celery (chopped)
- 1 cup brown rice (200g)
- 1¾ cups chicken stock (420ml)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 lb asparagus (trimmed and cut into 1½ inch pieces) (450g)
- 12 oz shrimps (peeled and deveined) (340g)
- Wash and drain wild rice. Place in a medium sized pan together with 2 cups (480ml) water Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Remove and drain excess water. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, carrots, and celery until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in brown rice. Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed by rice. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- While the wild rice and brown rice are cooking, bring a medium pot of water to boil. Cook shrimp in lightly salted water for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside. Cook asparagus for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and plunge in cold water to stop cooking. Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Wild rice and brown rice should be done by now. Put both kinds of rice, shrimp, and asparagus in a big bowl. Stir in dressing. Toss to combine.
- Serve warm.
NOTE: This post was updated on December 10th, 2013 with new pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎