Chelsea Buns

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Hand shaped rolls and buns are fun to make and even better to eat. They are perfect for afternoon tea or coffee and are delicious served warm with a little butter. It is hard to resist going back for more.

Chelsea buns are sweet rolled buns filled with cinnamon or a mix of spices, raisins, and sometimes lemon peel. They are baked together in a pan and pulled apart after baking into individual buns. Apart from the dried fruits, they look like cinnamon rolls.

I have added some sweetened cranberries to give the fruit mixture a little more color. You may add 2 – 3 tablespoons of candied peel if you like.

Chelsea Buns
1 cup milk
1 egg
4 cups unbleached white bread flour
¼ cup butter
½ tsp salt
¼ cup sugar
1¼ tsp rapid-rise active yeast

Filling
2 tbsp butter, melted
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup raisins
¼ cup dried sweetened cranberries
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp apple pie spice (or ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp cloves, ¼ tsp nutmeg)

Glaze
2 tbsp sugar
¼ cup water
½ tsp pure orange extract

Pour milk into bread machine pan. Add egg. Sprinkle flour over. Add butter, salt, and sugar in separate corners of bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the middle of flour and add yeast. Snap bread pan into bread machine and close lid. Set bread machine to dough setting. Press the start button.

Mix all filling ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

Grease a 9 inch square cake pan. When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Punch down gently and roll into a 12 inch square.

Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with filling.

Roll up dough like jelly roll.

Cut into 12 pieces…..

…..and place cut side up in prepared pan. They should be placed close together but not touching so as to leave room for it to rise.

Cover with oiled plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes or until double in size.

Preheat oven to 400˚F. Bake buns for 20 – 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly in pan before turning onto wire rack.

To make glaze, mix sugar and water in a small pan. Bring to boil. Stir and let mixture become syrupy. Turn off heat. Add pure orange extract. Remove and brush onto warm buns.

Serve warm with butter, if desired. Have a cup of tea…..

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!

1. A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine says:

Wow…these buns have come out just perfect…would like to have one now…

2. Angie's Recipes says:

Whoa….these buns are just hard to resist!

3. Mother Rimmy says:

I love that you used a bread machine. I have one I use all the time. Used to do the kneading myself, but that's too much work now. :) These look delectable!

Look like? I would have thought they were cinnamon rolls!

5. Biren says:

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine – Thanks! They are wonderful with tea.

Angie's Recipes – I was planning to only eat one but ended up having a couple!

Mother Rimmy – I love my bread machine. Use it every two days or so.

Tigerfish – They do look like cinnamon rolls but the dried fruits are a nice addition.

6. Casey Angelova says:

Those look amazing! I have always wanted to dabble in the sticky bun/cinna-bun realm! I think I will have to book mark these!

7. Sarah Naveen says:

so cute and yummy..loved it..
    is that your kitchen in the background biren?? what a beautiful kitchen..

8. Biren says:

Casey Angelova – Thanks! As I mentioned to you, I did make some adjustments to the recipe by reducing the flour and increasing the yeast. I am really pleased with the results.

Sarah Naveen – Thanks Sarah! Yes, that's my messy kitchen de-cluttered.

9. Biren says:

Casey Angelova – The measurements in the above recipe include the adjustments. Give it a try.

1. April 8, 2011

[…] to be used and so I added that. I also thought that it might be fun to make it like my rolled Chelsea Buns instead of a regular round bun. I am glad I added the pandan paste as the wonderful aroma of the […]

2. December 23, 2012

[…] I have made in the past were Potica (Slovenian Nut Roll), Lemon, Pistachio, and Feta Strudel, and Chelsea Buns. Please do check out my Christmas Gallery and Western Gallery for ideas on what to cook for the […]