Ebony n Ivory Dessert – a cool dessert combining tapioca pearls and grass jelly sweetened with maple syrup. Half-and-half is added for creaminess.
A black and white dessert to match a black tie event…..so simple and yet so elegant! Makes you think of a tuxedo or a penguin, depending on your mood!
This Ebony n Ivory Dessert combines two popular Asian dessert ingredients, tapioca pearls and grass jelly. Tapioca pearls are made from tapioca starch and are white in color when dry and translucent when cooked. The size of the pearls can be small, medium, or large.
Grass jelly is made from mesona chinensis, a member of the mint family. The jelly is sold in cans and is normally cut into cubes or strips. It has a slight bitter taste that combines well with syrup. The drink is said to be cooling and is often consumed on very warm days.
Ebony n Ivory Dessert (Grass Jelly and Tapioca Pearls)
- 1 can grass jelly (19oz/540g)
- 1 cup small tapioca pearls
- 1 cup maple syrup (240ml)
- 1 cup half and half (240ml)
- Soak tapioca pearls in water for about a hour. Cut grass jelly into ¼ inch cubes. Chill in the fridge.
- Bring 4 cups (960ml) water in a pot to boil. Add soaked tapioca pearls. Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Do not cover pot. Tapioca pearls should be ready when they turn translucent. Remove, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Scoop ¼ cup tapioca pearls into a glass. Top with ¼ cup grass jelly. Drizzle 2 tablespoons (or to taste) each of maple syrup and half and half onto grass jelly.
You can place the tapioca pearls at the bottom topped by grass jelly or vice versa. Can’t decide? Have a few glasses of each…..
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply