One of my favorite side dishes in the fall is Candied Sweet Potatoes. This bread was inspired by that classic autumn favorite. I combined the ingredients used in the dish with a quick bread recipe from my previous post Dates and Zucchini Bread. I was not disappointed with the results. The aroma of caramelized sweet potatoes filled the kitchen when the bread was baking in the oven. I could hardly wait to taste it.
This Sweet Potato Pecan Bread had a nice pebbled look with the mashed sweet potatoes and the chopped pecans. It was moist and tender with just the right amount of sweetness. Best served warm in thick slices. I know it is a little early to be thinking of autumn but this delightful bread will probably be at the year-end Thanksgiving table.
- 1 medium sized (8oz/225g) sweet potato
- 1½ cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup (110g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (50g) chopped pecans
- Scrub and rinse sweet potato. Prick it all over with a fork. Roast in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove and let cool. Peel and mash well.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, egg, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and sweet potatoes. Add dry mixture to sweet potato mixture. Stir until well combined. Fold in pecans. Spoon batter into loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 55 to 60 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and allow it to cool completely.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎