Roasted Beets Salad

Roasted Beets Salad

Where did the week go? It’s Friday again! Seems like the days just flew by. Nevertheless, I am so glad the weekend is here. Now that school is in session again, weekends are precious. It’s a time to slow down, chill out, and recharge.

Moving on to the beets. Beets are often considered as a winter or cool season vegetable although today they are found almost year round at the grocery stores. They start making an appearance at the farmers markets from July onwards. Fresh beets are often sold with their greens still attached. These greens are edible and very nutritious. They are high in beta-carotene, calcium, iron, and vitamin C. I must remember to use the greens the next time.

Roasted Beets Salad

Roasting beets intensifies their flavor and brings out their earthy sweetness. It also causes their peel to slip off easily.

Roasted Beets Salad

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 1 bunch (about 6) beets
  • Olive oil
  • 1 bag (5 oz/149g) mixed baby greens
  • ⅓ cup (45g) feta cheese
  • 1 stalk basil, stem removed and thinly sliced
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
  2. Cut off greens from beets. Wash and pat dry. Place beets on a large piece of aluminum foil.
  3. Drizzle with olive oil. Fold the foil over and crimp the edges, creating a pouch.
  4. Roast beets until tender, about 1 to 1½ hours. Remove from oven.
  5. When beets are cool enough to handle, remove peel. They should slip off easily.
  6. Slice beets and place them on a bed of mixed baby greens. Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle feta cheese and basil on the top.
  7. Serve immediately.

Roasted Beets Salad

The slightly salty feta really complements the sweet and earthy taste of the roasted beets. Do give it a try!

Comments

1. sayantani says

beautiful colour. though this is only vegetable that I detest but the look of this salad will make me have it. perfect summery bites.

2. lequan@luvtoeat says

Great looking beets salad Biren. I love the sweet taste of beets but don't use it much in my cooking. My sister in law made a beautiful beet soup the other day and my daughter called it strawberry soup cause the beets turned the broth red. I'll have to remember to try using the greens next time. Have a great weekend!

3. Stella says

Oh Biren, I always just boil my beets. I've wondered about roasting them for a while. I suppose both methods of cooking require a lot of energy, so I don't know why I don't just roast them. I'm going to try it. I bet it's better (no water logging);-)
    Your salad looks delicious too btw. I recently had a salad like that at a restaurant with organic greens and golden beets. It was fantastic, so I know yours is too!
    Have a great weekend, Biren. Stella

4. rotinrice says

I've never tried boiled beets. Boiling probably uses less energy. I roasted these together with my cookies. I try to time my baking together with roasting of potatoes and squashes to maximize the use of the oven. Potatoes and squashes are pretty dry, need very little fussing, and longer roasting time and so I am not too concerned about leaving them in there until my baked goods are done :)

I have not seen golden beets. Will keep an eye out for them. I am curious as to their color. You have a great weekend too!

5. sensiblecooking says

I have always shyed away fro the beets. Thanks for the information I guess mom was right and I need to get more beets in diet. Its weekend and I can get some of this puppies from farmers market and try this wonderful salad.

6. leaannbrown says

Beautiful salad. I l-o-v-e love roasted beets. I've ordered 25 pounds, they'll be here Sunday and I'm going to be pickling and roasting my heart out. :-)

7. Jeannie says

The beet looks lovely though i am not very partial to it:P But I used roasted beet to bake bread before and it was lovely!

8. rotinrice says

You did! That's very creative. I have to go to your blog to take a look (assuming you have posted it :)) It must be lovely!

9. Mary says

I love beets and the color of this lovely salad is incredible. This is a must try! I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

10. Nate @ HouseofAnnie says

I love roasted beets – they taste nothing like canned ones (blech). Have you tried the Chiogga beets or the Golden beets? Delicious.

Thanks for stopping by our site and commenting! I wonder if you could use roasted beets as a mooncake filling? That would be interesting.

11. rotinrice says

Thanks Nate for coming by :) No, I have not tasted golden beets but have heard of them. Will definitely keep an eye out for them.

Now, that's a thought. Use the beets are as a natural coloring to sweet potatoes maybe? I might just try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. Reeni says

What an absolutely delicious way to serve beets! I can imagine the contrast of flavors with the feta is wonderful. Hope you're having a great weekend Biren!

13. magicofspice says

This is just glorious…and the photos are amazing (as usual)…I do love beets but need to try to incorporate them more. Beautiful post Biren :) P.S. You know I just adore feta…

14. Julie M. says

Beets have such a beautiful color, it's almost impossible not to love them! Your salad looks truly tempting. Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

15. The Mom Chef says

I've only just really discovered the wonders of the beet thanks to my husband. I'd like to do more with them and your post is so inspiring. Thank you for the beautiful photography and easy preparation for us novice "beetists."

16. MaryMoh says

Beautiful and healthy salad. I usually add beets making making juice. Beets is a blood cleanser and toner….very good for health.

17. Cajun Chefryan says

Biren,
    This roasted beets salad is wonderful, and I can never get enough beets. They are so tasty and good for you too, this looks so great and refreshing.

Bon appetit et tres magnifique!
    CCR
    =:~)

18. nandini.p says

Roasted beets certainly looks wonderful and such a healthy salad Biren… Just now read in Priya's blog about the goodness of beetroot and here u have an amazing recipe….

19. denise fletcher says

I love the beautiful, deep colour of beets and find them quite delicious with an acidic dressing. Though I love feta too, I have never combined the two. This looks very good – I must try it the next time I prepare beets.