This sweet earthy Kale and Golden Beets Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing is super healthy…
Where did the week go? It’s Friday again! Seems like the days just flew by. Nevertheless, I am so glad the weekend is here. Now that school is in session again, weekends are precious. It’s a time to slow down, chill out, and recharge.
Moving on to the beets. Beets are often considered as a winter or cool season vegetable although today they are found almost year round at the grocery stores. They start making an appearance at the farmers markets from July onwards. Fresh beets are often sold with their greens still attached. These greens are edible and very nutritious. They are high in beta-carotene, calcium, iron, and vitamin C. I must remember to use the greens the next time.
Roasting beets intensifies their flavor and brings out their earthy sweetness. It also causes their peel to slip off easily.
Roasted Beets Salad
- 1 bunch (about 6) beets
- Olive oil
- 1 bag (5 oz/149g) mixed baby greens
- 1/3 cup (45g) feta cheese
- 1 stalk basil , stem removed and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut off greens from beets. Wash and pat dry. Place beets on a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Fold the foil over and crimp the edges, creating a pouch.
- Roast beets until tender, about 1 to 1½ hours. Remove from oven.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, remove peel. They should slip off easily.
- Slice beets and place them on a bed of mixed baby greens. Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle feta cheese and basil on the top.
- Serve immediately.
The slightly salty feta really complements the sweet and earthy taste of the roasted beets. Do give it a try!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎