Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles is one of my favorite styles of fried noodles. I like the crisp noodles soaking up the smooth egg-based sauce. This dish is especially delicious accompanied with some Pickled Green Chilies. The noodles can come in several forms – yee meen dried egg noodles), hor fun (flat cut rice noodles), or yin yong (a combination of flat cut rice noodles and thin rice noodles).

Yee meen is a kind of yellow noodles that is usually sold dried, in plastic packages. Some come pre-fried in little bricks. Here in the US, the most common variety found is pancit canton made in the Philippines. I like to crisp up these noodles by pan frying it for a few minutes.

Fresh flat cut rice noodles known as hor fun (in Cantonese) or koay teow (in Fujianese) are soft, white noodles. Over here, they come in 2-pound packages and are made in California. The tricky part about these noodles is that they tend to clump together during frying. It helps if you are willing to use a little more oil in the frying. These fresh noodles may be substituted with dried flat cut noodles if they are not available in your area. Dried noodles need to be boiled or soaked in warm water to rehydrate.

Thin rice noodles also known as maifun (in Cantonese) or beehoon (in Fujianese) are easily available. These can be rehydrated by soaking in cold water for 20 to 30 minutes.

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

With the various options available, pick your choice or have a combination of the different types of noodles. It is a matter of preference but they are all delicious. The recipe below has instructions on how to prepare each type of noodles.

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

Now, let us start cooking! I have chosen to show the step-by-step pictorial instructions for this Cantonese Style Fried Noodles using yee meen but the printable recipe has instructions for the the other noodles as well.

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

• 12 oz (335g) yee meen (pancit canton)**
  • ½ lb (225g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • ½ lb (225g) chicken meat, sliced into strips
  • ½ lb (225g) choy sum (mustard green) or baby bok choy, sliced into 2-inch lengths
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 cups (480ml) chicken stock or water
  • 2 tbsp corn starch, mixed with ½ cup water
  • Salt

Marinade shrimp and chicken with soy sauce and pepper. Set aside.

Heat a large pan with 2 tablespoons oil. Fry yee meen until slightly crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. You may have to fry yee meen in two batches. Remove and divide noodles into 4 plates. Set aside.

In the same pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Sauté garlic for about 1 minute. Add marinated shrimp and chicken and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt.

Add choy sum and corn starch mixture. When stock comes back to a boil and thickens, stir in egg and immediately turn off heat.

Pour sauce over noodles and serve immediately.

Notes

** May be substituted with 6 oz dried thin dried rice noodles and 6 oz dried flat cut rice noodles. Soak thin noodles in water for 30 minutes. Drain. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Turn off heat and soak flat cut noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain. Mix in a teaspoon of vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick pan. Add drained thin rice noodles. Fry noodles with ¼ teaspoon dark soy sauce until slightly crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Repeat with flat cut rice noodles.

**You can also use 1½ lbs (675g) fresh flat cut rice noodles. Place rice noodles in a large microwavable dish and microwave on high for 3 minutes to loosen up noodles. Remove and separate noodles into strands. Heat a large pan with 2 tablespoons oil. Fry noodles with ¼ teaspoon dark soy sauce until slightly crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

This is the Cantonese Style Fried Yin Yong (combination of flat cut rice noodles and thin rice noodles). I used the dried flat cut rice noodles for this dish.

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

The picture below shows the Cantonese Style Fried Hor Fun using fresh flat cut rice noodles. I omitted the dark soy sauce and so the noodles remained white.

Cantonese Style Fried Noodles

1. I like this post, you always give us so much information on what you are making. The photos really help to follow along on how you made it…You can use any one of the noodles that you have pictured here? This is what you can find in your area? So you make this often I gather? :D This looks so good and worth trying!

Yes Lyndsey, you can use any one of the noodles pictured here. I like them all as they are delicious in their own way. The dried noodles are easily available in my area but the supply for the fresh flat cut noodles is a little erratic.

2. Parsley Sage says:

Its 930 in the morning and I’m so hungry for this right now I could cry. That shrimp marinade looks delish!

3. Oh Biren, that dish looks so fantastic. Would I be forgiven if I used regular pasta instead of rice noodles? :) We’ve just never become fans, but I love the other ingredients.

I have never tried using pasta but I think spaghetti should work. You can try boiling the spaghetti, draining, and then frying it with some oil.

4. Lyn says:

This is my fav yee meen besides the hor fun! My Dad used to cook hor fun for us but not now anymore… :(
    Maybe I could surprise him with this recipe of yours! Tks for sharing this delicious recipe! :D
    Have a great weekend! ^.^

5. anncoo says:

I love to cook yee meen quite often. Ingredients are almost same as yours. Looks very delicious, I think I’m going to cook yee meen tomorrow.

Thanks Ann! I have been cooking this as the boys really enjoy it, especially the younger one. He likes the yee meen.

6. wok with ray says:

My goodness so many choices of goodies here, Biren. Is the last dish the same as the Chow Fun noodle that you’ll find mostly on fastfood joints here in the U.S? Your noodle dishes are making me hungry. I’m gonna make some this weekend. Thank you Biren. :)

Chow fun is a Cantonese term meaning fried noodles. Any kind of noodles may be used. Over here in the US, chow fun is usually made with slightly crispy noodles as oppose to lo mein where soft, fresh noodles are used.

7. Victoria says:

That looks really good! I love that you can use a variety of noodles. I’m sure each one is fun and unique. As a noodle lover of all kinds, would be happy to experiment with these :)

Oh great! I would certainly like this with pickled green chilies. It’s quite a SE Asian to-do with such a noodle dish. :)

9. Pachecopatty says:

Hi Biren, I’ve always been curious about all the different kinds of noodles available, thanks for shedding some light on that subject for me. I would like to experiment with the variety that I see at my market, thanks for this wonderful recipe;-). Have a nice weekend!

10. delicious looking noodles looks wonderful

11. Okay I want some like right now! I love shrimp and noodles, match made in heaven. Great recipe, thanks so much for sharing! =]

12. Liz says:

Biren, this looks and sounds amazing! Such wonderful flavors…and I’d eat up all the shrimp and the rest of the family could have the chicken!

13. Adora's Box says:

Oh so yummy. Love that eggy sauce. I can’t make up my mind which one to choose. You are so well versed with all the different terms for noodles. I am so lost. I am so surprised that you use pancit canton also.

We really enjoy noodles and so I like to try the different varieties out there. Pancit canton is very convenient to have in the pantry. :)

14. Kelly says:

This looks so delicious! :)

15. Kay Ecker says:

Biren, This looks so good and I love how you educated us on all the different types of noodles :o)

16. Sanjeeta kk says:

Yet another Noodle delicacy from you, Biren!

17. That was a great lesson! Noodles 101 :) Thanks for that! And this recipe sounds pretty great… Love fried noodles… Thanks for sharing this, Biren!

18. MaryMoh says:

Noodles…mmmm….my family will be very happy to see this. Wow…so much ingredients there….love it!

19. Love crispy noodles with thick gravy!

20. I love noodles of all kinds, Biren! When properly cooked like yours, they’re just so scrumptious!

21. Delicious looking fried noodles, excellent with shrimp!

22. Oh I soooo could go for a big plate of that right now!!! Looks delish!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What’s For Dinner

23. Oh I love crunhy crispy noodles with gravy/sauce on them. Great job Biren!

24. Chinese food is amazing – so many kinds of noodles, way more kinds than Japanese noodles! I usually can’t pick which noodles I like because everything is unique and good! Your Cantonese style fried noodles look good – I was just talking with my mom about this dish as she was craving for it at a Chinese restaurant we went today and they didn’t have this menu (it was Shanghai style). I will keep this recipe for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

25. Great post Biren – so informative especially for anyone confused about asian noodles. I love Cantonese style noodles and this looks so good! Every year my mother will grumble about how untraditional I am because I want beef hor fun for my birthday instead of the traditional birthday noodles LOL

26. Enjoy your visit to Black Hills… I just got back a few weeks ago, just beautiful… Hit Deadwood and the Naked Winery is so much fun (and not what it sounds like!

Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com

It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!

Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

Dave
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

Thanks Dave for your kind comment and visiting. I will check out erecipecards.com soon. Thanks for the invitation! :)

27. Nithu says:

Looks so good and inviting.

28. I love fried noodles but have never had them in such wonderful dishes, usually on the side or with a basic veggie sauce. These look wonderful :)

29. Candace says:

I made this tonite & I will definitely make it again, but with different type of noodle. Next time I would use rice stick noodle or flat rice noodle, or will probably even try the real Yee Mee (I used Pancit noodle this time, but i actually saw Yee Mee in the market)
    The sauce was really good, but I am not too crazy about the Pancit noodle. The pancit noodle get kinda “hard” instead of crispy after being fried and it didn’t seem to compliment hence to bring out the good flavor of the sauce, rice noodle might be better since rice noodle is more delicate, doesn’t have any flavor on it’s own & absorbs sauces better.
    Overall, this recipe is a keeper :) Thanks for sharing it with us.

The pancit canton can be a little hard and you do have to fry it well so that it can soften in the sauce. It is of course best to use yee meen if you can find it or rice noodles. I am glad though that you enjoyed the sauce. Thanks for coming back to let me know. :)

BTW, I will be making another type of noodle using pancit canton soon. :)

30. Tom says:

Thanks for the recipe. I recently had this in a restaurant and am looking forward to making it myself.

31. HENRY says:

Good. Please advertise more the street hawker foods especially in Chinese version as well. TQ.

1. February 24, 2012

[...] For more on the different types of noodles that may be used in this dish, please refer to my post Cantonese Fried Noodles. In fact, the ingredients for both dishes are similar except that this one is cooked in a clay pot [...]

2. April 13, 2014

[…] the Philippines and easily available here at the Asian markets. These noodles have appeared in my Cantonese Style Fried Noodles, Clay Pot Noodles, and Pancit Canton recipes on this blog. Do check them […]