Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

What do you do when you have lots of apples sitting on the counter? You can’t eat them all and so you bake, roast and throw them into stews. Of course you can also make apple sauce but my boys are past that age and they consider apple sauce baby food. They don’t mind apples in savory dishes and so I mix them into their favorite food….MEAT!

I concocted this Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage dish last year but never posted. I like squashes and so I added some in place of potatoes. It is kind of a sweet and savory dish. It is fast and easy to prepare and we enjoy it. Hope you will too. :)

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

• 1 small onion, diced
  • ½ tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 package sweet Italian sausage
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  1. Place apples, squash, green pepper, and onions in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables. Roast in 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until apples and squash are tender.
  2. Heat half cup water in a deep skillet. Place sausages in skillet, cover and cook for 10 minutes, turning once.
  3. Remove lid and continue to cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown.
  4. Remove and allow sausages to cool slightly so that it may be handled. Slice sausages diagonally into ¼ inch slices.
  5. When vegetables are done, transfer to a large bowl. Add sliced sausages. Drizzle with maple syrup.
  6. Give it a toss and serve immediately.

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage
NOTE: This post was updated on September 30th, 2013 with new pictures.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

I wish I had a whole bunch of apples sitting around. That is one thing that I miss about the midwest! The cider too!

This looks like a wonderful fall hearvest dish. I’ll bet this would be good in a bento lunch too!

• Biren says

I did put some in the boys’ and hubby’s bento. Did not have time to take a picture as it is such a rush in the morning.

2. says

Looks so delicious! Now I know what can I do with all the apples that my mom will always give us after offerings every month! I’m also looking for butternut squash recipe for the one I bought last week. 😉

3. says

I will always have extra apples for this terrific dish. It is a complete meal in itself. Protein, vitamins, carbs, extra minerals. Thanks for sharing an easy to prepare dish.

4. says

Hi Biren! What a hearty dish! Yes, I have a lot of apples on counter because kids say they want to eat and they stopped eating after a couple of them (duh!!!). I’ve never prepared apples and sausage together but that sounds like a good idea!

5. says

There are times where we have too many apples and this is such a great idea on using them up. I agree with Nami, it is a hearty dish. I love that you put maple syrup to give it a sweeter flavor. Have a great weekend, Biren!

6. says

I’m into quick meals lately. I was doing so much cooking that I got a bit burned out. I like the simple ingredients you’ve used. It just goes to show that a few flavorful ingredients can have a big impact!

Trackbacks