Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

What do you do when you have lots of apples sitting on the counter? You can’t eat them all and so you bake, roast and throw them into stews. Of course you can also make apple sauce but my boys are past that age and they consider apple sauce baby food. They don’t mind apples in savory dishes and so I mix them into their favorite food….MEAT!

I concocted this Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage dish last year but never posted. I like squashes and so I added some in place of potatoes. It is kind of a sweet and savory dish. It is fast and easy to prepare and we enjoy it. Hope you will too. :)

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

• 2 medium sized apples, cored, and cubed
  • ½ butternut squash, cubed
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • ½ tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 package sweet Italian sausage
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup

Place apples, squash, green pepper, and onions in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables. Roast in 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until apples and squash are tender.

Heat half cup water in a deep skillet. Place sausages in skillet, cover and cook for 10 minutes, turning once.

Remove lid and continue to cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown.

Remove and allow sausages to cool slightly so that it may be handled. Slice sausages diagonally into ¼ inch slices.

When vegetables are done, transfer to a large bowl. Add sliced sausages. Drizzle with maple syrup.

Give it a toss and serve immediately.

Roasted Apples, Squash, and Sausage

NOTE: This post was updated on September 30th, 2013 with new pictures.

1. I wish I had a whole bunch of apples sitting around. That is one thing that I miss about the midwest! The cider too!

This looks like a wonderful fall hearvest dish. I’ll bet this would be good in a bento lunch too!

I did put some in the boys’ and hubby’s bento. Did not have time to take a picture as it is such a rush in the morning.

2. Lyn says:

Looks so delicious! Now I know what can I do with all the apples that my mom will always give us after offerings every month! I’m also looking for butternut squash recipe for the one I bought last week. ;)

3. Nutmeg Nanny says:

This dish looks wonderful! I love sausage mixed with apples…yum!

4. I’m usually not a fan of fruit in my meals, with the exception of apples and sausages. They just go together so well. This looks absolutely delicious. I don’t blame your kids. Dudette’s only 5 and I can’t get her to eat applesauce anymore.

5. This looks great! I’ve mixed apples and squash but I love it with the sausage, so pretty!

6. Reeni says:

The mix of savory and sweet flavors in this can’t be beat! It has autumn written all over it! Such a delicious comfort meal Biren.

7. Biren! Nice to see your picture on the profile. Anyway, do you still have some apples left?

8. Anna says:

I will always have extra apples for this terrific dish. It is a complete meal in itself. Protein, vitamins, carbs, extra minerals. Thanks for sharing an easy to prepare dish.

9. Parsley Sage says:

So good. I’m absolutely making this. I wonder if I could use sweet potatoes…

10. I love apples and you can always find apples in my fridge. I definitely love to make this healthy and simple meal for everyone at home. Thanks for sharing, Biren :)

11. Love the combination of sweet apples, squash and sausage. It looks

12. vianney says:

I love crsip apple with sausage, yummy fall comfort dish!!

13. Umm Mymoonah says:

Yummy! Colourful and beautiful pictures.

14. Hi Biren! What a hearty dish! Yes, I have a lot of apples on counter because kids say they want to eat and they stopped eating after a couple of them (duh!!!). I’ve never prepared apples and sausage together but that sounds like a good idea!

15. wok with ray says:

There are times where we have too many apples and this is such a great idea on using them up. I agree with Nami, it is a hearty dish. I love that you put maple syrup to give it a sweeter flavor. Have a great weekend, Biren!

16. I’m into quick meals lately. I was doing so much cooking that I got a bit burned out. I like the simple ingredients you’ve used. It just goes to show that a few flavorful ingredients can have a big impact!

17. Now I wish I had plenty of apples sitting in the kitchen! This looks hearty and tasty.

18. Biren, this sounds wonderfully! I made something similar to this minus the sausage yesterday:D

19. I really like the combination of roasted meat and apples! Great recipe!

20. mycookinghut says:

This looks such a wholesome dish!

21. PolaM says:

What a great simple dish. Perfect for these cold days ahead!

22. I love roasted veggies and by adding in the apples with the squash I can only imagine how phenomenal this dish is. I would love this sitting on my table for thanksgiving!

23. Jo says:

This looks so delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

24. I’ve always loved combining hearty meats like bacon, sausages with apples, onions and herbs. This is definitely up my alley! It just screams “autumn” and “EAT ME”!!!

1. November 19, 2011