Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas

“Wake up and smell the coffee”, or a “cuppa cha” in my case. Ham, tomatoes, and cheese in a quesadilla cooking on the stove…mmm! This is enough to bring the boys scrambling out to the kitchen for their perennial weekend favorite. They make short work of their share and are out of the kitchen as fast as they appeared. Best of all, I don’t have to work at the stove for once a week in the morning. Ro-Ri San wields the spatula while I get to sit down and enjoy my cup of tea. Saturday mornings are just the best!

Ro-Ri San pretty much uses whatever lunch meats are available in the refrigerator. Often times that means ham or sliced turkey. Occasionally there is pastrami or salami. They are all good. The same thing with vegetables. Tomatoes are a mainstay but sometimes salad leaves also make an appearance. In short, it is a “man about the kitchen” mode of operation.

Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas

Since my discovery of these brown rice tortillas some years back, we are never without a supply of it. Apart from it being gluten-free, we actually prefer them to the regular wheat or corn tortillas. They are less chewy and crisp up nicely when pan fried. In my humble opinion, they are a healthier option. Of course you can use regular tortillas if you prefer.

Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas

This Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas first appeared on January 9, 2010 when Roti n Rice was only 10 days old. Although I showed the step-by-step pictures, I did not write up the recipe. Since then we have had many breakfast quesadillas. The recipe remains pretty much the same. Of late though, Ro-Ri San has made it even more scrumptious with the addition of eggs. The boys and I are happy campers. :)

Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas

Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas

• 4 brown rice tortillas, 8 to 9 inches in diameter, or any flour tortilla of your choice
  • 2 large eggs, beaten with 1/8 tsp of salt
  • 1 cup (4 oz/115g) shredded cheese
  • 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 8 slices of ham

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cheese on half of the tortilla. Place 4 to 5 slices of tomatoes on the cheese. Pour a quarter of the beaten eggs onto the tomatoes. Then place 2 slices of ham onto eggs followed by a sprinkling of another 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.

Using a spatula, fold tortilla in half over the filling. Allow eggs to cook and tortilla to brown for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip quesadilla over and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the other 3 tortillas.

Cut each quesadilla into triangles and serve immediately.

For a more fruity option paired with brie, please check out my guest post Mother’s Day Happy Healthy Brunch over at Keep Learning Keep Smiling.

1. Blackswan says:

Looking at your dish makes me feel I’m in another country, enjoying this with a cup of tea :) Yummy!

Biren, I’ve been nominated for this Int’l Women’s Day. Appreciate if you could support this event & click on “Like” @ Support International Women’s Day! I Thank U for your time!

2. Biren, I also need this healthy and light breakfast after having two castella cake… hahaa..

3. Raymund says:

Look at that melting cheese, that would definitely start my day right

4. Ruby says:

What a good morning! We, too, use quesadillas as a way of using up whatever’s in the fridge, but I’ve never made them for breakfast before. Your technique looks a lot like how I fill crepes, but I like the idea of brown rice tortillas as it sounds much healthier. Haven’t seen them here (we get wholewheat or corn) but will have a look in the health food shop.

These are wonderful for breakfast! Hubby does a really good job with them.

The brown rice tortillas are great! We really like them as they do not have the floury and doughy taste.

5. wow … I want a few for the dinner. Look so delicious!

6. they look perfect for breakfast or anytime of the day for that matter! Love ham and cheese together-its classic!

7. My kids love quesadillas and ham and cheese looks like a great combo that I have never tried. What a great breakfast or snack! Have a great week! Ramona

8. Juliana says:

Bire, the quesadillas look great…I need to try this one made of rice.
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

This just reminds me of Murtabak (if only the filling was spiced lamb mince) ;p

That said, you are lucky that someone made breakfast.

10. Lyndsey says:

Yummy breakfast, I would scramble to get to he table too! :) I will look for those tortillas, they look super good!

11. mjskit says:

What a perfect brunch, lunch or even dinner! I’d be running down the stairs if I smelled this cooking. :) I’ve got to keep an eye out for those tortillas. Thanks for introducing them!

12. Know just the perfect person to share these with! Thanks for the recipe Biren!

13. Gluten free has certainly never tasted so good!

14. Jeannie says:

That looks so delicious! and so simple! I am going to get some tortillas the next time i am at the grocers:D

15. Yum! Biren those look really delicious! I want to eat them right away… I adore quesadillas… Thanks for this recipe :)

16. Dongxing says:

Nice twist with the eggs – I have never thought of that! I must give this a try. My kids already love ham/cheese quesadillas, and they love eggs too. Must keep an eye out for the rice tortilla. Nice picture too!

17. Hi Biren! We eat this at least once a week for lunch. I never add eggs – I need to do that next time. Thanks for the idea! :-)

18. I so totally need this deliciousness for my lunch…
    Yum.

19. What a fun idea for breakfast…my guys would love it!

20. This looks like something I can make when my great grand children come to visit me and grandpa this weekend. So, now I’m excited to give it a try and see what they think!

Thanks for the recipe,

Grandma Kat
    XOXOXOXOXO

1. August 21, 2014

[…] Breakfast is very important at our house and so I made Crustless Quiche, Banana Bread French Toast, Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas, and Chai Gingerbread Pumpkin Waffles. Recipe for the Crustless Quiche will be out […]