Life has many surprises and I was stumped last weekend while grocery shopping with Ro-Ri…
These Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas are so easy to prepare. The addition of tomatoes and eggs make them even more tasty.
“Wake up and smell the coffee”, or a “cuppa cha” in my case. Ham, tomatoes, and cheese in a quesadilla cooking on the stove…mmm! This is enough to bring the boys scrambling out to the kitchen for their perennial weekend favorite. They make short work of their share and are out of the kitchen as fast as they appeared. Best of all, I don’t have to work at the stove for once a week in the morning. Ro-Ri San wields the spatula while I get to sit down and enjoy my cup of tea. Saturday mornings are just the best!
Ro-Ri San pretty much uses whatever lunch meats are available in the refrigerator. Often times that means ham or sliced turkey. Occasionally there is pastrami or salami. They are all good. The same thing with vegetables. Tomatoes are a mainstay but sometimes salad leaves also make an appearance. In short, it is a “man about the kitchen” mode of operation.
Since my discovery of these brown rice tortillas some years back, we are never without a supply of it. Apart from it being gluten-free, we actually prefer them to the regular wheat or corn tortillas. They are less chewy and crisp up nicely when pan fried. In my humble opinion, they are a healthier option. Of course you can use regular tortillas if you prefer.
This Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas first appeared on January 9, 2010 when Roti n Rice was only 10 days old. Although I showed the step-by-step pictures, I did not write up the recipe. Since then we have had many breakfast quesadillas. The recipe remains pretty much the same. Of late though, Ro-Ri San has made it even more scrumptious with the addition of eggs. The boys and I are happy campers. 🙂
- 4 brown rice tortillas (8 to 9 inches in diameter, or any flour tortilla of your choice)
- 2 large eggs (beaten with 1/8 tsp of salt)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (4 oz/115g)
- 2 tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- 8 slices of ham
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cheese on half of the tortilla. Place 4 to 5 slices of tomatoes on the cheese. Pour a quarter of the beaten eggs onto the tomatoes. Then place 2 slices of ham onto eggs followed by a sprinkling of another 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Using a spatula, fold tortilla in half over the filling. Allow eggs to cook and tortilla to brown for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip quesadilla over and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the other 3 tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into triangles and serve immediately.
NOTE: This post was updated on June 25th, 2015 with additional new pictures. The recipe remains unchanged.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎