Antipasti Kabobs

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Antipasti Kabobs

Food on skewers are the perfect party food. They lend a festive touch to any occasion as they are fun and easy to handle. Little morsels of different colors, textures, and tastes can all be threaded together to make an eye-catching display. In fact, an entire meal of appetizer, main course, and dessert can all be put on sticks.

Recently, I made an appetizer with Mother-In-Law’s Tongue Pasta. I only used half the package, leaving me sufficient pasta to create yet another fun dish. This pasta is too pretty to be simply cooked and toss in a sauce. I initially tried to string them up like a curvy ribbon but they broke apart into thin strands. After some thought, I decided to wrap them around a piece of cheese and thread them together with mint wrapped grape tomatoes. The mint leaves give it a fresh taste and a pop of color.

Antipasti Kabobs

Finding a vessel to hold these Antipasti Kabobs was half the fun. This little basket with a tall handle was just the right thing. I filled it up with floral foam and covered it with a piece of napkin. These colorful kabobs stood in there nice and tall.

Antipasti Kabobs

The tall handle provided sufficient clearance for the basket to be carried around. The other option is to create a table center piece with other skewered fruits. I have given you the idea. Use your imagination and creativity to display it to best suit your needs. Remember it is all about the presentation! ;)

Antipasti Kabobs

I used aged cheddar cheese for the rollups but you can use any kind of firm cheese you prefer. The grape tomatoes can also be swapped out for other fruits and vegetables.

Antipasti Kabobs

Antipasti Kabobs

• 8 strips Mother in Law’s Tongue pasta
  • 16 cubes of ½”x½”x¾” aged cheddar cheese or cheese of choice
  • 16 grape tomatoes
  • 16 mint large leaves
  • Salt
  • 8 bamboo skewers

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add some salt. Cook pasta as for 11 to 12 minutes. Drain.

Cut each strip of pasta into half. Lay a strip of pasta out onto a board. Place a cube of cheese at the edge of the strip and roll pasta tightly around the cheese. Repeat with the rest of pasta and cheese.

Thread two pasta-cheese rollups onto skewer alternating with two mint wrapped grape tomatoes. Repeat with the rest of the pasta-cheese roll-ups and tomatoes.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

I am linking this to Friday Mint Blog Hop hosted by the lovely Katherine Martinelli.

Antipasti Kabobs

For another fun appetizer using Mother-in-Law’s Tongue Pasta, check out my Antipasto Rollups.

1. Sonia says:

Oh, this is a fun recipe, good for party!

2. WOW!! You’re so creative Biren :) Lovely presentation and too pretty to eat!!

3. Ramona says:

Biren… I just love this pasta and then adding them to the antipasti kabobs… Brilliant!! Great idea. :) Have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend!! ~ Ramona

4. Nasifriet says:

As with your antipasto rollups, these antipasti kabobs are so, so pretty! I just love the combination of colours. They make a nice “bouquet” in your lovely basket :-) Definitely great party food idea! Hassle-free, pretty and healthy. Thanks for sharing, Biren!

5. What a novel and fresh serving idea! Love that basket and the fresh, pretty colours in the skewers :)

6. Blackswan says:

U’re absolutely right, these pastas r simply too pretty to be cooked & toss in sauce. Brilliant, Biren! I’ve never seen this type of pasta before. Love those colours! Well done, dear!

7. Lea Ann says:

I love these skewers and the basket they rode in on! Fabulous Biren.

8. wok with ray says:

This is very creative of you. Maybe you should start a business doing this, Biren. Nice!

9. PolaM says:

How fun! Very colorful!

10. Mari says:

You are so creative Biren! I love this idea, it perfect for summer get togethers.

Blessings and hugs.

11. Lyndsey says:

Biren, you are to clever! I loved it when you used this pasta before. Funny when you say Mother-in-law’s tongue…it reminds me of all the mother-in-law tongue plants I have growing in my back yard!

BTW, I ordered a pandan plant on Ebay from Malaysia. I will let you know when and if I get it!

12. They are too cute to eat!

13. What a fun idea…they are just gorgeous!
    Wishing you a wonderful and safe weekend!

14. mjskit says:

There’s that fun pasta again! What a cute little appetizer and presentation for a party! You clever girl you! :)

15. Ruby says:

What a great idea! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

16. sophia says:

That is the prettiest pasta I’ve ever seen, and I love the creativity!!

17. kitchenriffs says:

The idea of the antipasta kabobs is genius. Love seeing the Mother-in-Law’s tongue pasta again – so pretty. Good combo of flavors, and I have mint everywhere in my garden that’s looking to be eaten!

18. Rebecca says:

Biren, you really brighten up the table with this pretty kebobs. This is the 1st time to see this so called Mother in Law tongue pasta !! Have not see it before even in Paris. Biren, glad to be a fan of your as you always surprise us with delicious and pretty dishes and introduce the new ingredients to all you fans . Thanks again !!

19. Jane Nalbandian says:

I love this colorful creative dish. Have been looking for the pasta- Mother- in- laws Tongue. Do you know where I can find it?

1. December 27, 2013

[…] This Prosciutto Wrapped Melon appetizer is hardly a recipe. It does deserve a mention though as it is light, tasty, and refreshing. Since we were having little friends over, I decided to use these fun decorative Santa food picks I purchased 2 years back but never used. I am glad I did. I also have the Snowman food picks which I used for the Antipasti Kabobs. […]

2. July 23, 2014