I hope you all had a wonderful Father’s Day weekend. This year I got to celebrate with my Dad here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was wonderful that my brothers from out of state were able to return for the weekend as well. Unfortunately, I cannot be in two places at the same time but I am thankful my boys were able to spend time with their dad back home in Minnesota.
And now, for today’s post… Did I tell you that I really enjoy eggplants? Yes, I do. Ro-Ri San likes them too and so do the boys. That is why I can’t resist bringing a couple home whenever I see them at the grocery store. They are pretty bland on their own but upon cooking, their raw spongy texture absorbs all the accompanying flavors to become deliciously “melty” and meaty. Eggplants are very versatile and can be pickled, steamed, pan fried, deep fried, grilled, roasted, braised, or cooked in a curry. I cook them often as they make a wonderful side dish.
Steamed Eggplants are a family favorite. The dish is easy to prepare and can be ready in under 20 minutes. Sometimes I prefer to pan fry the eggplants instead and have them dressed with a slightly spicy and tangy sauce using bottled garlic chili sauce available at most grocery stores.
- 2 medium sized (about 1 lb/450g) Chinese eggplants
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Cut eggplants into ¼-inch thick slices on a diagonal.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan. Place eggplant in a single layer and pan fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip eggplant and drizzle another tablespoon of oil into the pan. Continue to fry for another 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Mix garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Drizzle sauce mixture over eggplants. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
This simple and tasty Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette goes really well with a bowl of steamed rice. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Another eggplant dish that may interest you is Vegetable Moussaka. Do check it out.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!