Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette

Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette

I hope you all had a wonderful Father’s Day weekend. This year I got to celebrate with my Dad here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was wonderful that my brothers from out of state were able to return for the weekend as well. Unfortunately, I cannot be in two places at the same time but I am thankful my boys were able to spend time with their dad back home in Minnesota.

And now, for today’s post… Did I tell you that I really enjoy eggplants? Yes, I do. Ro-Ri San likes them too and so do the boys. That is why I can’t resist bringing a couple home whenever I see them at the grocery store. They are pretty bland on their own but upon cooking, their raw spongy texture absorbs all the accompanying flavors to become deliciously “melty” and meaty. Eggplants are very versatile and can be pickled, steamed, pan fried, deep fried, grilled, roasted, braised, or cooked in a curry. I cook them often as they make a wonderful side dish.

Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette
Steamed Eggplants are a family favorite. The dish is easy to prepare and can be ready in under 20 minutes. Sometimes I prefer to pan fry the eggplants instead and have them dressed with a slightly spicy and tangy sauce using bottled garlic chili sauce available at most grocery stores.

Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette

Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 2 medium sized (about 1 lb/450g) Chinese eggplants
  • 4 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • ½ tsp sesame oil
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced
  1. Cut eggplants into ¼-inch thick slices on a diagonal.
  2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan. Place eggplant in a single layer and pan fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip eggplant and drizzle another tablespoon of oil into the pan. Continue to fry for another 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
  3. Mix garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Drizzle sauce mixture over eggplants. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.

This simple and tasty Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette goes really well with a bowl of steamed rice. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Pan Fried Eggplant with Garlic Chili Vinaigrette

Another eggplant dish that may interest you is Vegetable Moussaka. Do check it out.

Comments

1. says

Eggplants are such great flavor sponges – they soak up the flavors of whatever ingredients they’re prepared with. I like spicy and I like garlic, so it follows that Chili Garlic sauce is pretty high on my list of good things. Nice recipe – so flavorful. Thanks for this.

2. says

I am glad you had a beautiful Fathers day weekend with ur DAD!!!
    this looks really nice, I love eggplant.
    I have a quick question; How can I prevent eggplant from getting dark after cutting my get realy dark even after keeping them in water.

3. says

Hi Biren – I haven’t visited in a bit. I love the new look of your blog. Very nice! I’m a new convert to eggplant and have come to love them. I’ll be trying this recipe for sure.

• Biren says

Thanks Kristi! I try to keep the blog looking fresh and updated. I hope you get to try this recipe soon. :)

4. says

Eggplant in a spicy and tangy sauce is also a favourite at our house. They really are amazing flavour sponges! Sometimes I shallow fry the eggplant. When I’m feeling guilty though, they go into the steamer. Either way is delicious. Your version looks lovely!

5. says

I had all the items to make this so we had it for dinner. My husband said I could make this “anytime”. We both loved it! I am always open to new recipes for vegetables.

6. says

I wish I had seen this yesterday, I would have made it last night! We had eggplant last night and I wanted to do something a little different than normal. It turned out good, but this would have been better! What a great recipe and one that I will do for my next eggplant purchase! BTW – I’ve always thought an eggplant dish like this would be difficult to photograph, but you did an awesome job! The food looks delicious!

7. says

Biren, Thanks for your call and so sorry i could not made it to meet you. I hope to meet you next time when you come back again. I like to prepare this type of pan fried eggplants, just drizzle with soy sauce, already taste super..Yours sound so yummy too.

8. says

I made these yesterday for dinner, we had them with rice – delish! I had some pre-baked eggplants frozen, so it took even less time :-). The sauce was delish. My only adjustment was cutting down on sambal oelek about 10 times – it’s waaaay too spicy for us. Thanks for the recipe – one more hit!
    p.s. and I am still thinking about roti canai all the time, but so far no time to make them.. one happy day…

• Biren says

Thanks for coming back to let me know. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :D Yes, sambal oelek can be really spicy for some. I use the garlic chili sauce which has about the same level of heat. I guess I am used to it.

The roti canai is a project by itself. In the mean time, do go get a quick fix with the frozen ones. I think you should be able to find it at the Asian grocery stores.