This classic Braised Chicken with Dark Soy Sauce and Mushrooms is Chinese home cooking at its best. So comforting and delicious with a bowl of steamed rice.
By the time you read this post, I am up in the sky again homeward bound to Minnesota. How quickly these two and a half weeks have gone by. It was great to see family in Malaysia and I treasure the little time I got to spend with each of them. Leaving is always hard but my life in Minnesota beckons. I miss my hubby and two boys and it is time to go home. The good memories made in Malaysia will have to last until my next visit.
Thank you all for visiting and commenting while I was away. I hope you have enjoyed my prepared posts and also updates on Facebook. It warmed my heart to read your comments and to see your “likes”. A special thank you goes to Ruby and Hyosun for helping to hold the fort with their lovely guest posts. In case you missed them, do check them out over here and here.
A Family Favorite
Today’s Braised Chicken with Dark Soy Sauce and Mushrooms recipe is a family favorite in Minnesota as well as Malaysia. It is a homely dish that is often cooked in rotation. Some years it even made it to the Chinese New Year Eve Reunion Dinner. I cooked and photographed this prior to my travel and I got to taste the “original” version (a.k.a. Mom’s homecooking) during my first week in Kuala Lumpur. 🙂
Similar Tools Used in Making This Braised Chicken with Dark Soy Sauce and Mushrooms
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- Rinse and soak mushrooms to rehydrate. When mushrooms are soft, wash to remove any grit. Trim stalks and soak again until ready to be used.
- In a medium sized pot, heat vegetable and sesame oil. Fry ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces and fry until opaque. Stir in dark soy sauce.
- Remove mushrooms from soaking liquid and reserve ½ cup (120ml) of the liquid. Add mushrooms and soaking liquid to the chicken. When sauce comes to a boil, add Shao Hsing cooking wine , sugar, and salt. Reduce heat to low and allow it to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Pour over chicken and let it continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Sauce should have thickened.
- Remove and serve warm with steamed rice.
This classic Braised Chicken with Dark Soy Sauce and Mushrooms served with a bowl of steamed rice is Chinese home cooking at its best. It is like comfort food for us. I hope you will give it a try.
See you back in Minnesota next week. Enjoy your weekend! 😎