Kuih Kodok (Mashed Banana Fritters) – A Guest Post for Ang Sarap

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Today, I am guest posting at Raymund’s blog, Ang Sarap. Every Monday and Friday in the month of June and July Raymund is featuring bloggers that he follows. I am honored to be one of them. This is a really cool series with diverse recipes from around the world. I hope you will visit as there are also many fantastic Filipino recipes on Ang Sarap. While you are there, please say “hi” for me.

Since I had just returned from a visit to Malaysia, I wanted to make this simple but delicious street snack known as Kuih Kodok for you. This snack is usually sold at street corners or pasar malams (night markets) and uses only 4 ingredients. If you miss my first two posts on Malaysia, please do check it out here and here. Also, before we hop over to Ang Sarap I would like to share some fireworks pictures taken on the 4th of July with you. These pictures were taken from our backyard.

The best is always kept for the last. A bunch of fireworks were set off in close succession, one after the other for the Grand Finale. When everything died down, we could even hear the applause from the crowds three quarters of a mile away from us.

The full month phase usually occurs on the 15th day of the lunar month. Since the 4th of July corresponded with the 16th day of the 5th month of the lunar calendar, we could see a big, bright, beautiful moon up there. This picture was taken by Ro-Ri San on impulse without a tripod after the fireworks.

Enough of fireworks and moon gazing! Now, please do Raymund and me the honor of going over to Ang Sarap to read my guest post HERE.

Kuih Kodok (Mashed Banana Fritters)

Kuih Kodok (Mashed Banana Fritters)

• ½ cup (75g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 (15 oz/420g) ripe bananas, mashed

Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, egg, and ¼ cup (60ml) water in a large bowl. Mix till a smooth batter forms. Stir in mashed bananas. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.

In a medium sized sauce pan, heat about 1 inch deep oil. Gently lower a ladleful batter into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once. It only takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Two or three pieces may be fried at the same time but do not overcrowd pan.

Remove and place on a wire strainer.

Serve immediately.

1. Raymund says:

Biren Thanks for this one and participating in my Guest post series, as usual you continue to make me crave for Malaysian treats like this.

2. Haruna says:

Congrats on your guest post. Great fireworks pix too!

3. Lyndsey says:

Great fireworks shots, and to think you didn’t have to leave your yard. I thought than only happened on TV! Off to see your guest post.

Thanks Lyndsey! It’s great to be able to watch the fireworks from our yard. :) I hope you had a great 4th of July.

4. i love fritters, i love bananas, mashed banana fritters! I AM ALL OVER THIS! Incredible

5. Jeannie says:

It that a witch on a broom flying by the moon? I am pretty sure I saw it! :D Hopping over to Ang Sarap! The dish looks really authentic, been a while since I last had this!

6. Ramona says:

Gosh, these banana fritters bring back so many childhood memories. My mother used to make them and we called them banana pillows because the puffed up like a pillow. YUM!! We ate them with treacle. These make my mouth-water. :)

I remember enjoying them as a kid too. Had my fair share of it. Glad to hear they brought back fond memories. :)

7. It has been ages since I made jemput pisang and you are making me crave some now – pity I have no nice really ripe bananas at the moment. Love the fireworks and full moon photos and I think I also see a witch on a broom, and she’s surrounded by bats!!! :D

8. Delicious! I can’t stop just eating one or two. Gorgeous photo of full moon.

9. kitchenriffs says:

Great recipe! I love fritters, and using bananas is a wonderful idea. And so nice to be able to watch fireworks from your back yard! Love the picture of the moon. Fun post – thank you.

10. Juliana says:

Nice pictures of the firework…the banana fritters look great.
    Hope you are having a nice week Biren :)

11. simply.food says:

These look delicious. I would like to invite you to send this post to Flavours of Malaysia @ simply.food its perfect for the event.