French Toast

I cannot remember when was the last time I had French toast. It seems like eons ago. I woke up this morning craving for some and decided that I would satisfy the craving after Ro-Ri San and Ro-Jiro left for work and school respectively. French toast is not their thing and so they had their usual sandwiches while I continued to pack their lunches. As soon as they left, I set to work.

Like scents, some foods remind us of certain people. I have an aunt who absolutely loves eggs and one of her favorite dishes to prepare with eggs is French toast. Whenever I eat French toast, I am instantly reminded of this aunt who likes them really sweet and well coated with eggs. There was no need for syrup as they were already well sweetened. Auntie’s French toasts were good and I had my fair share while growing up.

Most French toasts here are made with some milk. Apart from cakes, milk is seldom used in cooking back in the old country. Aunty added only sugar to the eggs with no milk. In today’s recipe, I did use a little half-and-half and a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar. The level of sweetness was just right and no additional sweetener is necessary for me. Coupled with a pot of freshly brewed tea, I had a wonderful breakfast. :)

French Toast

Yield: 1 to 2 servings

French Toast

• 1 egg
  • 1 tsp honey
  • ¼ cup (60ml) half-and-half or milk
  • 2 slices of day-old bread, cut into halves
  • 1 tbsp (14g) butter

Place egg, honey, and half-and-half in a medium sized bowl. Whisk until combined.

Dip bread into the egg mixture and allow it to soak for about 20 seconds on each side.

Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Placed bread slices onto the pan and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.

Remove and serve immediately as is or with butter, honey, or maple syrup.

1. Yum! I do enjoy French toast, but I like mine savory, even as a kid I never put anything sweet on it. I always ask if it comes with powdered sugar when I order it in a restaurant…if so I want it without! :) My mother and daughter would like it sweet like yours but my daughter adds cinnamon to the eggs when she makes it. Yours turned out beautiful…even if it was just for yourself!

2. I’s 9am and I’ve been working for a while and now I’m going downstairs to the kitchen and making French toast because it’s all I can think about. :)

I was like that before I made these. :) Can’t Imagine why it took me so long to make some when they are so easy to prepare.

3. Annie says:

It’s amazing how simple dish such as this can bring much pleasure. We love French toast anytime of the day too :-)

4. Raymund says:

Perfect for everyday breakfast

5. Ramona says:

That is one of the most attractive stacks of french toast I have ever seen!! YUM!

6. Delish! A perfect breakfast in bed ;-)

7. Mari says:

Biren, your french toast look scrumptious! This is my favorate breakfast.
    Have a blessed day :)

8. kitchenriffs says:

French toast is such good stuff! I do like it sweet, but I also like it exactly the way you made it. Who am I fooling? I’ll eat it any way I can get it! Nice recipe and pictures – thanks.

9. mjskit says:

Oh I love French Toast and you are so right – a good French toast really doesn’t need syrup, but hey – why not spoil yourself a little more. :) Your recipe is almost exactly like mine, but I do add a touch of cardamom. Lovely pictures!

10. Your French toast looks wonderful, and reminds me that I haven’t made this for my boys in far too long. My boys like them heavily dusted with cinnamon sugar and hubs drowns his with Lyle’s golden syrup and butter, then gets frantic for a cup of unsweetened black coffee to “buang jelak”. LOL you’d think it would be easier for him to just put less syrup on his toast, but he wouldn’t have it any other way :D

I don’t know why it took me so long to make these. They are so simple and yet so satisfying. Some really do like it sweet, don’t they? ;)

11. Your French toast looks spectacular! I like a good French toast on a weekend and this reminds me that I haven’t made it in a while.

12. William Yap says:

Thanks for your recipe. We tried it this morning (Saturday in Singapore)and it was delicious, but a bit wet. Is there any difference between white bread and wholemeal bread? must we soak the bread for full 20 seconds?

Fristly, welcome to Roti n Rice! Thanks for visiting. :) So glad to hear you had a chance to try out this recipe. The density of the bread would definitely be a factor. If your bread is very soft, you may not need to soak it for the full 20 seconds or it will fall apart. Also, the frying time may differ. 2 to 3 minutes is a guide and is usually sufficient. If you find that the bread is still a little wet, go ahead and fry it for a little longer making sure not to burn it. I hope this helps.

13. amallia says:

simple and delicious, I always made this for breakfast