Hasselback Potatoes, also known as accordion potatoes are truly a joy at the dinner table. They are a great choice when celebrating an event or having company. The weekends are a great time to prepare these as a treat for the family. They would also make a lovely side dish for a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner with your sweetie. 😉
Do not be deterred by the fancy looking potatoes as they are really quite easy to prepare. With a pair of chopsticks as your guide, you should not be fearful of accidentally cutting the potatoes in half. The chopsticks on either side of the potato would prevent the knife from reaching the cutting board. I have used this method successfully with my Hasselback Sweet Potaoes made a while back. Incidentally, it is the second most popular recipe on this blog.
The ingredients list is very short. Please flavor the potatoes however you like. Use your favorite herbs and spices like rosemary, thyme, and good old salt, and pepper. I like it with garlic and lemon pepper for a slightly tangy taste.
Scrub the potatoes before slicing if you prefer not to peel them. They are good either way and I have done both. It is just a matter of preference.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 8 small Yukon Gold or red potatoes
- Combine olive oil, minced garlic, and lemon pepper in a small microwave safe bowl. Place in the microwave and heat oil on high for 1minute. Remove.
- Peel potatoes**. Working with one potato at a time, cut a thin sliver lengthwise to keep potato flat on the work surface. Lay chopsticks on either side of potato. Cut potato cross-wise at ? inch to ¼ inch intervals down to the chopsticks.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place potatoes on a baking tray. Lightly sprinkle some salt over potatoes. Brush each potato with fragrant oil and roast for 35 to 40 minutes depending on size of potatoes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎