No matter how long the holidays, they eventually come to an end. Today, Ro-Taro begins a new semester at college while Ro-Jiro goes back to school. Ro-Ri San started work last week after New Year’s Day and so he goes to work as usual. We have enjoyed the season and time spent together. Now, we must get back to our respective routines.
As mentioned in my previous post, breakfast is a very important meal at our house. Since this weekend that just passed is the last one of the current holiday season, I decided to make a hot breakfast Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet using leftover ham. I woke up bright and early Saturday morning thinking that I would give myself more time to cook the dish and take the pictures before everyone else woke up. That did not turn out to be the case. The wonderful aroma of sweet potatoes and ham frying in the skillet attracted the attention of the boys and brought them scrambling to the kitchen with, “Mom, what’s for breakfast?”
While they went to get themselves ready, I quickly set the table, brewed the tea, and took a few quick shots before everyone filed into the kitchen. The pictures do not do justice to the dish. We had a GREAT breakfast!
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 medium sized (1¼ lbs/570g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb (450g) boneless ham, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (110g) shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on the stove. Add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Pan fry cubed sweet potatoes for about 7 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon canola oil into the same pan. Fry onion and hams for about 5 minutes. Add green peppers and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return the fried sweet potatoes to the pan. Add red pepper flakes, pepper, and cinnamon. Give it a good stir to get everything well mixed.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over sweet potatoes and ham. Place into preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎