Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet

Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet

No matter how long the holidays, they eventually come to an end. Today, Ro-Taro begins a new semester at college while Ro-Jiro goes back to school. Ro-Ri San started work last week after New Year’s Day and so he goes to work as usual. We have enjoyed the season and time spent together. Now, we must get back to our respective routines.

As mentioned in my previous post, breakfast is a very important meal at our house. Since this weekend that just passed is the last one of the current holiday season, I decided to make a hot breakfast Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet using leftover ham. I woke up bright and early Saturday morning thinking that I would give myself more time to cook the dish and take the pictures before everyone else woke up. That did not turn out to be the case. The wonderful aroma of sweet potatoes and ham frying in the skillet attracted the attention of the boys and brought them scrambling to the kitchen with, “Mom, what’s for breakfast?”

Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet

While they went to get themselves ready, I quickly set the table, brewed the tea, and took a few quick shots before everyone filed into the kitchen. The pictures do not do justice to the dish. We had a GREAT breakfast!

Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet

Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet

• 3 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 medium sized (1¼ lbs/570g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
  • 1 onion, peeled and cubed
  • 1 lb (450g) boneless ham, cut into ½-inch cubes
  • 1 green pepper, cubed
  • ½ tsp red pepper flakes
  • ¼ tsp ground pepper
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup (110g) shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

Heat a large cast iron skillet on the stove. Add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Pan fry cubed sweet potatoes for about 7 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add remaining tablespoon canola oil into the same pan. Fry onion and hams for about 5 minutes. Add green peppers and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

Return the fried sweet potatoes to the pan. Add red pepper flakes, pepper, and cinnamon. Give it a good stir to get everything well mixed.

Sprinkle shredded cheese over sweet potatoes and ham. Place into preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Remove and serve immediately.

Sweet Potato, Ham, and Cheese Skillet

1. Michelle says:

Biren,
    This look so delicious! I love breakfast skillets because you get to add so many treats into one delicious dish. I can’t wait to try this. We love potatoes but I’ve never tried them in a breakfast skillet before. Pinning :)
    Michelle

Thanks Michelle for visiting! Yes, breakfast skillets are so versatile and we love them too. I am delighted you want to try it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Thanks for pinning!

2. Sarah says:

Looks delicious! I’m not a huge fan of sweet potatoes. Do you think this would work with red potatoes?

3. mjskit says:

Oh YUM! I absolutely love this breakfast! It’s one of my favorites. So easy, so versatile, and it’s hard to beat the flavors! Love your combination of ham and sweet potatoes!

4. Ramona says:

Fantastic meal all in one skillet.

5. Oh this meal is to die for…looks absolutely amazing and so delicious! Have a lovely week ahead, Biren!

6. Ruby says:

Looks so good. I like the idea of using sweet potatoes and cinnamon because it plays on the affinity of ham for sweets. Just wondering if a fried egg would go well on top? Or does that make me a glutton? ;-)

That’s what I thought! I added the cinnamon because of the sweet potatoes and ham. Good thing it turned out well. Actually, I would have put in eggs if not for egg sensitivities in the family. Maybe you can give it a try. :)

7. wok with ray says:

Oh definitely breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this skillet dish looks very hearty, delicious, and nutritious. Making me hungry, Biren. :)

8. it couldn;t be more appealing and delicious!i love your addition of the sweet potatoes. Here is to a great new year of your fabulous recipes

9. Well, I can certainly see why you didn’t have a chance to take many photos. It looks scrumptious and when you have hungry growing boys in the house, the food photographer’s subject won’t last long :D

10. Dongxing says:

Just wanted to say I made this dish with potatoes instead, as I did not have sweet potato on hand. It was so delicious and fast, well received by the kids. This is really a fast dish to whip up when we come back late from work and childminder’s.. I didn’t even mind when my son picked out the peppers. Thank you for a really handy recipe.