Baked Eggs in Shredded Cheese and Potato Cups – start your day right with this warm and tasty gluten-free protein packed breakfast. Only 3 ingredients.
Happy New Year! The holiday season is a great time of the year and it came and went by too quickly. I hope you had a lovely time with family and friends. It was quiet for us, very quiet I should say. It was the first time in a long while where all four of us fell ill from the same bug. It started the weekend before Christmas when Ro-Jiro (second son) had to stay home on the last day of school before Christmas break because of a high fever. He recovered and was well enough for Christmas Eve celebrations. Two days after Christmas, Ro-Ri San caught the bug and we had to cancel our Christmas party. Another two days later, it was Ro-Taro’s turn and he was probably the hardest hit. Mom was the lone person standing but finally succumbed on New Year’s Day. I guess you can say we had a warm and cozy holiday. 🙂
We are all on the mend now. The fevers have been replaced by coughs. Hopefully that will be out of here soon. I was cooking mostly comfort foods like soups and congee as no one had the appetite for anything else. The only meal that anyone was interested in was breakfast. Breakfast is very important at our house and so I made Crustless Quiche, Banana Bread French Toast, Gluten-Free Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas, and Chai Gingerbread Pumpkin Waffles. Recipe for the Crustless Quiche will be out soon.
One morning I woke up thinking I would make Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups for breakfast. Unfortunately, I did not have those nice plump tomatoes on-the-vine in the fridge. Since it was cold outside, I did not want to drive to the store. I had to think of something and I came up with this idea of making Baked Eggs in Shredded Cheese and Potato Cups instead. I had seen lacy cheese cups on the web but I wanted something a little more substantial to hold the eggs and so I added some grated potatoes to the mix. So glad the dish turned out beautifully. The shredded cheese and potatoes provided a wonderful gluten-free crust for the soft cooked eggs.
Baked Eggs in Shredded Cheese and Potato Cups
- 1 small potato
- ½ cup shredded cheese of any kind (55g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Peel potato and grate with a fine box grater. Squeeze out as much of the juice as possible from the finely grated potato. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Combine grated potato and shredded cheese. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan. Spread out each portion of grated potato and cheese mixture like a pancake of about 3½ inch diameter in the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Gently flip over. This may be a little tricky as the mixture is very soft. Gently pat and reshape with spatula if they clump up. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and place on a plate. Allow them to cool slightly.
- Press each of the shredded cheese and potato pancakes into 4 indentations of an ungreased and unlined non-stick muffin pan to form a cup. Crack an egg into each cup. Add a little salt and pepper to each egg.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes depending on how cooked you like your eggs to be.
- Remove and serve immediately with bread or toast.
Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. Start the New Year right by giving yourself a good and proper breakfast. These gluten-free protein packed Baked Eggs in Shredded Cheese and Potato Cups is a good place to start.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎