Ever since I pulled out the slow cooker from the lower shelf of my corner kitchen cabinet, I have been putting it to good use. I really like the comforting thought of dinner cooking by itself with little to no supervision from me while I potter around the house. It frees me up to do other chores and run errands. On top of that, I am rewarded with a wonderful aroma wafting through the house. That motivates me to plan ahead and do some prep work the night before.
So far, I have converted and adapted a few recipes that I usually cook on the stove for the slow cooker like this Pork Ribs with Spicy Bean Sauce and Chicken and Vegetable Curry. I am happy both turned out very nicely. Others are old favorites or crock pot classics like today’s Slow Cooker Honey Spare Ribs which was deliciously flavorful and fork tender. Ribs, both pork and beef work really well in a slow cooker as they benefit from the slow and long cooking times.
I went with pork spare ribs this time as they were on sale last week. Please use beef spare ribs if you prefer. They would work just as well.
- 2 lbs (900g) pork spare ribs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp corn starch mix with 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- Place pork spare ribs in slow cooker insert. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat vegetable oil. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Pour in sauce and allow it to come to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let it cook until thick and bubbly for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Pour sauce over pork spare ribs in the slow cooker insert. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- To serve, transfer cooked spare ribs onto a platter. Skim off as much fat as possible from the remaining sauce. Strain into a small saucepan. Add corn starch mixture and boil until thick and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over spare ribs.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎