This fast cooking Chicken and Fennel Stew is a one-pot wonder complete with protein and vegetables. Carrots and fennel lend a delicious sweetness to the stew.
Old Man Winter sure is not letting up! We woke up to a wintry morning after having the loveliest, bright, sunshine filled weekend. Thank God, Ro-Taro drove home on Saturday and not today. This is a late snow storm and hopefully, the last of the season. The snow is still falling and 5 more inches are expected tonight. It will make for a very difficult commute to work and school on Tuesday morning. Perhaps, it will be a snow day and everyone can stay home. That would be really nice, wouldn’t it?
Chicken and Fennel Stew for the Cold Weather
Since the weather is still cold out there, stews are still very much an “in” thing at our house. Come to think of it, stews are always welcomed at our house. They are so comforting and go really well with rice. I like to add lots of vegetables to the stew so that it becomes a complete one-pot meal perfect for week nights.
Not all stews need to be cooked for hours, especially if boneless and skinless chicken is used. This Chicken and Fennel Stew is a relatively quick one to prepare. A it delicious and comforting one-pot wonder with protein and vegetables. Both the carrots and fennel are tender but not falling apart. The fennel lends a delicious sweetness and aroma to the stew.
Tools Used in Making This Chicken and Fennel Stew
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
• Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 2-3/4-Quart Soup Pot, Flame
• Pyrex Prepware 1-Cup Measuring Cup
Chicken and Fennel Stew
- 20 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into two each) (560g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 small carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 fennel (trimmed and sliced)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken.
- In a large heavy pot, heat vegetable oil. Add chicken and allow them to brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add garlic, carrots, fennel, and dried thyme to the pot. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in ¾ cup (180ml) water. When it comes to boil, return the chicken pieces to the pot. Add salt to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and allow stew to simmer for 15 minutes.
This quick and comforting Chicken and Fennel Stew is wonderful served with rice. I have cooked it several times and it is fast becoming a favorite at our house.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply