Green beans are one of our favorite vegetables. They do come in purple and yellow colors and are known as waxed beans or yellow beans as seen in today’s post. Although green beans are available year round, the yellow variety can only be found here in the summer months right through to early fall. So far I have yet to encounter the purple variety and I am told they do fade to a green color when cooked.
Green or yellow beans are sweet and tender and can be used in a variety of dishes like stir fries, stews, and fried rice. They are also very easy to prepare as compared to other vegetables. Only their ends need to be trimmed. This can easily be achieved by lining them up and running a knife through them. They can then be used whole or cut into desired lengths.
Always choose crisp, firm, and brightly colored beans. If possible, avoid beans with heavy pods as these are mature beans past their prime for eating. Thinner beans tend to be sweeter and more tender. Refrigerate beans for no more than a few days as they do spoil easily. Wash and drain well before using.
This popular dish is usually made with green beans but waxed beans or a mix of the two work just as well. Since I often use green beans, I chose to use the later this time and named the dish Szechuan Yellow Beans instead. Please use green beans if yellow beans are not available where you live.
The heat level can easily be adjusted in this recipe. I used a teaspoon of gochujang, a Korean chili paste easily available here. They come conveniently packed in rectangular plastic containers.
- 1 lb (450g) yellow or green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large wok or pan. Sear yellow or green beans for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the pan. Fry garlic and ginger for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chili paste, followed by sugar and rice vinegar.
- Return the beans to the pan. Add a tablespoon of water and stir to get everything well mixed. Turn off heat and transfer to a plate.
- Served immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎