Air Fried Chicken Lollipops a.k.a. Boxing Chicken seasoned with Asian spices, coated with panko, and air fried to golden crispy perfection.
Chicken Lollipops were very popular when I was a kid. I remember eating them at birthday parties and class parties even though my Mom never made them. Back then we called them Boxing Chicken probably because they looked like boxing gloves. They were deep fried and really easy and fun to eat.
Today, we have the air fryer and many delicious deep fried foods are making a comeback for guilt free crispy enjoyment. 😉 The air fryer also makes for faster cooking and easier clean up which are definitely pluses in my books. Not going to lie, air fried foods are a little less taste-wise as compared to deep fried foods but I guess the pluses more than make up for it or so we tell ourselves. 😆
Air Fried Chicken Lollipops on Lunar New Year Charcuterie Board
Anyway, they still tasted very good and looked great on my Lunar New Year Charcuterie Board. If you have not seen my large serving tray for Lunar New Year, please do check it out. It is a great way to serve a feast for your CNY Reunion Dinner.
How To Make Chicken Lollipops Using The Drumettes
Marinating, coating, and air frying the chicken wings are pretty straight forward but how do you make those drumettes look like lollipops? It is actually pretty simple. If you are buying whole wings from the grocery store, start by cutting them into 3 sections at the joints. Discard the wing tips but save the middle sections known as wingettes.
Press the top section known as drumettes upright with one hand with the bigger part down on the cutting board. Hold a knife in the other hand and carefully cut the meat and sinews away from the middle bone.
Set the knife down and push/pull meat downwards to form a lollipop at the base.
Some people also take the trouble to form smaller “lollipops” with the wingettes but it is a little more difficult and I prefer to just use them as is. Otherwise you can buy more wings and use just the drumettes and save the wingettes for another time.
Similar Products Used To Make These Air Fried Chicken Lollipops
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Air Fried Chicken Lollipops
- Cut chicken wings into 3 sections at the joints. Set aside the wingettes and discard the wing tips.
- Press the bigger portion of a drumette upright onto a cutting board with one hand. Holding a knife in the other hand, carefully cut the meat and sinews away from the middle bone. Set the knife down and pull meat downwards to form a lollipop at the base. Repeat with the rest of the drumettes.
- Place all prepared drumettes and wingettes in a bowl. Add salt, ground pepper, and five spice powder.
- Grate ginger over the top. Add garlic and mix well. Let wings marinade for 30 minutes.
- Place all-purpose flour with a pinch of salt and pepper, egg mixture, and panko bread crumbs in three separate bowls.
- Dredge a drumette with flour, then dip in the egg mixture, and coat with panko bread crumbs. Place on a platter.
- Repeat with the rest of the drumettes and wingettes.
- Brush or spray vegetable oil on the prepared drumettes and wingettes.
- Place air fryer basket in the unit and close the hood. Set air fryer to 390⁰F (200⁰C) for 19 minutes. Press start to begin preheating.
- When unit beeps, open the hood and arrange prepared chicken lollipops and wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Close hood to let chicken lollipops and wings cook.
- When cooking is complete, remove chicken lollipops and wingettes to a plate. Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce.