This Steamed Cod with Kimchi is healthy, moist, and delicious. Combining cod and kimchi gives the dish a deliciously spicy and tangy flavor.
I try to prepare fish at least once a week. Unfortunately, the choices of fish at my local grocery store are not great and so I usually end up cooking salmon. This week though, I managed to purchase a great looking piece of cod and it was on sale too! It did not matter that I had no clue as to how I was going to cook it. I was just happy that it will not be another piece of salmon at the dinner table. Don’t get me wrong. I do like salmon but it is always nice to have a different kind of fish every now and then.
Homemade Napa Cabbage Kimchi
Satisfied with my shopping for the day, I drove home thinking about other things. When I got home, I unloaded the groceries and lugged them into the kitchen as always. As soon as I opened the refrigerator, I was greeted by this huge bottle of Napa Cabbage Kimchi sitting on the top most shelf. I knew instantly then what I was going to do with the piece of cod I had just bought. We have not had steamed fish in a while, and cod is a wonderful fish to use for steaming. I figured the mild cod would benefit with some flavor boost from the spicy and tangy kimchi.
Steamed Fish With Pickle Vegetables
Steamed fish with pickled vegetables is not uncommon in Chinese cuisine. The Teochews are known for their steam fish with pickled mustard, tomatoes, chilies, and ginger. These vegetables combine well with fish to give it a slightly tangy and spicy flavor that whets one’s appetite. That was the inspiration for this Steamed Cod with Kimchi dish. Ro-Ri San had a second helping of rice for dinner this evening. 🙂
Similar Products Used in Making This Steamed Cod with Kimchi
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Steamed Cod with Kimchi
- Place cod on a shallow bowl. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and ginger all over the cod. Place sliced kimchi on the top.
- Prepare a steamer with about 1 inch of water over medium high heat. Bring water to a boil.
- Place the dish with the fish in the steamer. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and allow fish to steam for 10 minutes. When cod is done, it should flake easily.
- Place minced garlic and vegetable oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute 50 seconds. Remove and mix in soy sauce. Set aside.
- Remove fish from the steamer when done. Cod should flake easily when cooked. Spoon off some of the juices if there is too much in the dish.
- Drizzle prepared soy sauce and garlic oil dressing over the fish. Garnish with sliced green onions and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Steamed Cod with Kimchi on Lunar New Year Charcuterie Board
I recently made a small portion of this Steamed Cod with Kimchi as one of the dishes for my Lunar New Year Charcuterie Board. If you have not seen my large serving tray for Lunar New Year, please do check it out. It is a great way to serve a feast for your CNY Reunion Dinner.
NOTE: The original publication of this post was on April 26th, 2013. This republication comes with new pictures but the recipe remains the same.