This crunchy Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi) is a wonderful condiment during the warm summer…
A healthy, moist, and delicious steamed cod. The kimchi combines beautifully with the cod to give it a slightly spicy and tangy flavor.
I try to prepare fish at least once a week. Unfortunately, the choices of fish at my local grocery store are not great and so I usually end up cooking salmon. This week though, I managed to purchase a great looking piece of cod and it was on sale too! It did not matter that I had no clue as to how I was going to cook it. I was just happy that it will not be another piece of salmon at the dinner table. Don’t get me wrong. I do like salmon but it is always nice to have something a little different every now and then.
Satisfied with my shopping for the day, I drove home thinking about other things. When I got home, I unloaded the groceries and lugged them into the kitchen as always. As soon as I opened the refrigerator, I was greeted by this huge bottle of Napa Cabbage Kimchi sitting on the top most shelf. I knew instantly then what I was going to do with the piece of cod I had just bought. We have not had steamed fish in a while, and cod is a wonderful fish to use for steaming. I figured the mild cod would benefit with some flavor boost from the spicy and tangy kimchi.
Steamed fish with pickled vegetables is not uncommon in Chinese cuisine. The Teochews are known for their steam fish with pickled mustard, tomatoes, chilies, and ginger. These vegetables combine well with fish to give it a slightly tangy and spicy flavor that whets one’s appetite. That was the inspiration for this Steamed Cod with Kimchi dish. Ro-Ri San had a second helping of rice for dinner that evening. 🙂
- 1 lb cod fillet (450g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ inch ginger (peeled and julienned) (45g)
- ½ cup napa cabbage kimchi (sliced) (100g)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 green onion (finely sliced)
- Place cod on a shallow bowl. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and ginger all over the cod. Place sliced kimchi on the top.
- Fill a large pot with about an inch of water. Place in a metal rack or stand in the middle of the pot. Bring the water to a boil. Place the dish with the fish on the metal rack then place lid on the pot. Reduce heat to medium and allow fish to steam for 10 minutes. When cod is done, it should flake easily.
- Place minced garlic and vegetable oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Remove and mix in soy sauce. Set aside.
- Remove fish from the pot and drain off some of the liquid. Drizzle garlic oil over the fish. Garnish with sliced green onions.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎