Fragrant and tender Banana Yeast Bread with a hint of cinnamon. Use ripe bananas for…
Deliciously moist and tender Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread with walnuts and dark chocolate chips. Makes a great afternoon tea bread.
Most people I know seem to have a favorite banana bread recipe. This well liked bread is a mainstay of brunches, pot-lucks, and family gatherings. There is a variation on the recipe involving spices, nuts, and chocolate. I like mine with all three. The addition of chocolate makes it a great afternoon tea bread.
I have tried many different recipes. Some are way too sweet for my liking. My version is an adaptation of a combination of two recipes from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book and The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion – The All Purpose Baking Cookbook.
Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread
- Grease and flour 9"x5" loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg until combined.
- In another bowl, beat together egg, sugar, and vegetable oil.
- Blend in mashed banana, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients, walnut, and chocolate chips all at once to banana mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place an aluminum foil tent over bread after 40 minutes to prevent it from browning too quickly.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
This Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread with walnuts and dark chocolate chips is moist, tender, and not too sweet. It is delicious as an afternoon tea bread.
NOTE: This post was updated on August 28th, 2013 with new pictures and minor changes to the write-up. No changes were made to the recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎